Fred Sokolow's DVD "Blues for the Ukulele"

martinfan

Reaction score
I just received this and will begin to work through it slowly, as I am new to the Ukulele.

I am familiar with Fred's DVDs and love his "Bawdy Songs" for the guitar and his style of teaching, though not in-depth, is clear and this DVD continues with section by section teaching, and nice close ups of his fingering, as well as some great songs including, "Fishin' Blues", which I learned from Happy Traum DVD in the key of D for guitar, and Fred teaches it in G for the ukulele! This makes for a nice transition.

I am also using his introduction DVD for the ukulele, which is all strumming. I am more interested in some finger style work on the Uke, as I learned in many of the DVD guitar lessons (My favorites besides Fred's and Happy's, are the "Blues" series from Stefan Grossman.)

Blues in the uke is really interesting and I hope to learn his Red Rooster with the glass slide!

The sound is fun. I love the DVD.

Thanks for mentioning those DVDs I hadn't heard of them previously.
The book "Jukin' the Uke" has Fishin' Blues in F, written for low G. It is on my do to list.

Just got this dvd yesterday and am looking forward to learning "fishing blues" ect... I'm also new to Uke, having played guitar for 35 yrs though, I'm am finding it fun and am having a blast with it.

I'm having a blast with the slide! (Red Rooster)

It has an unique sound to it and although not everyone will love it, I think guitarists will!

Top Bottom