Pono ATD-2 vs. MTD

Trader Todd

Reaction score
Anybody own or played the Pono ATD-2 (Cedar/acacia) or MTD-2 (mahogany) tenors? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one can't decided after watching the videos on HMS. Talk me into your fav. Or tell me I need to spend more (read: keep saving) money on the PC mahogany MT-PC.

Or convince me of another tenor in the $450-600 range.

Or convince me I need a concert and not a tenor.

Money is burning a hole in my pocket, too many choices.

I've been playing about 6 months (guitar 20 plus year) and own a Ohana soprano. I love the soprano, but the guitar player in me says I need to grow into a tenor. The Uke player in me says I need to stay small and go concert.

don't over think the matter a tenor is a reasonable choice. i am a mahogany guy and would go that way liking the warmth of mahogany. the both sound good from the sound samples. listen to both again and make a choice.

Both acacia and mahogany are warmer sounding woods. Two of my favorites! I don't think you can go wrong with either. While I Have not owned a Pono, I have played a few and they are very nice. Either one would be a good next uke. As for size, go with what calls you. If you are like the majority of uke players UAS will get its hands on you and you will end up getting another down the road.

Happy strumming!!

I'd pick the ATD-2. The cedar should have better projection both out and up. Alot of people feel the acacia and hog Pono's are a bit on the quiet side.
Also.. you'd get upgraded to edge binding and a radius'd fret board. I have a radius'd pono, and it's very enjoyable to play for a long time. It's a great feeling neck really. Easier to barre than flat necks.

I weighed the exact same choice. I play a Martin mahogany, so I love the wood, but I let the professionals guide me with opinions and pulled the trigger on the ATD 2 and am loving it. I doubt you'd be unhappy with either. I love the brightness of the sound that this offers and got the hardshell case to protect it.

Get the ATD-2...........there problem solved, that was easy.

They are both great and very close in sound. Get the one you like the look of better, seriously.

The "guitar player in you" is right, get a Tenor from Pono. Out of the two models you mention, I'd pick the ATD-2.

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, the correct answer was "spend more money than your budget allows". Which is exactly what I did and added the Pono MTSH PC with cedar top, mahogany sides and slotted headstock to my cart. I'd like to stay and try to explain myself, but I've got to get over to eBay and find something to sell! Anybody want to buy a used wedding ring? I may not have use for mine after the Uke arrives.

Stay tuned. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, the correct answer was "spend more money than your budget allows". Which is exactly what I did and added the Pono MTSH PC with cedar top, mahogany sides and slotted headstock to my cart. I'd like to stay and try to explain myself, but I've got to get over to eBay and find something to sell! Anybody want to buy a used wedding ring? I may not have use for mine after the Uke arrives.

Oh good choice, Pro Classic series are awesome. I own one and love it. Marriage can be temporary but a ukulele is for life. Best of luck with the ebay adventure :)

I thought I was the only one who did such things!

Except with my quest to purchase a baritone, I put some stuff up for sale on eBay before ordering a Pono Baritone Uke!

Way to go, well done. What's nicer than a Pono? A Pono Pro Classic. You made a great choice.

One thing that helps preventing the anger of a loved one is to get her involved. Teach her some chords and let her strum along. Soon, it will be her buying the next uke (I doubled the amount of ukes in my home this way)...

She already plays a bit. Hopefully she'll be happy to get more playing time on the Ohana soprano instead of her plastic Waterman. Maybe I should just buy her a Pono concert. Just thinking out loud...

That's the spirit, planning your next purchase while waiting for another! You are now officially diagnosed with UAS. :p

I just bought that exact uke from HMS two weeks ago. I have had for one week today.

I love it. The fit and finish is excellent, the feel is outstanding and the sound is very good. I hope you are as happy with yours.

I should be getting my new sets of South Coast and Worth Brown strings today so, I'm looking forward to a great weekend.

Have fun with yours and good luck with eBay!

Glad to hear you are enjoying you new Uke lewclev. Can't wait to get mine! Interested to hear your input on the strings.

Trader Todd:

My Pono came from HMS with Ko'olau Alohi Tenor low G with a wound 3rd and 4th. I didn't care for them at all. The tension was higher than I was accustomed to, they sounded dull to me and I didn't care for the finger noise from the wound strings. I had a set of D'Addario Titanium that I replaced them with and they were better, but not much.

Based on the recommendation posted by another UU member, I ordered a set of South Coast LL-NW strings, a linear (low g) set with no wound strings. I put them on this evening. They settled in about an hour ago and I have been playing since then. I am very impressed by them. The tension is low, in fact, I may step up a notch in tension on my next set. However, the tone is crisp and clear and that low G really gets the wood pumping. I am very pleased with these strings. To my ears they are much better than the Ko'olau set that came on the uke. Crisp, clear and coax a much better sound out of the instrument. I am very impressed with these strings.

I know that stings and sound preference are really subjective and, of course, there is no "best" string or sound for everyone. The "best" sound for all of us is the one WE like the best. However, I have already ordered a couple of sets of South Coast to keep in the case with my new Pono.

BTW I started out with a $400 budget too so I feel your pain.

Good luck with your new Pono!!

Top Bottom