yet another "help a beginner pick a uke" thread

fonhop

Reaction score
hello ukuleleunderground.com forums!
sorry for making another one of these threads.. i didn't want to hijack someone else's.
anyway, i am interested in purchasing a soprano or preferably concert sized uke.
i've been self teaching myself to play the guitar but i just love the sound a ukulele brings so i'm hoping to purchase one :)
i've done a fair amount of research and shopping through MGM, elderly, etc. and i have these 3 ukes as choices so far.. i'm trying not to spend over $200 shipped

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SK25.htm
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CK25.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-BRAND-KA-C...7797368QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItem

could you guys give me some advice or some suggestions on which one to purchase?
feel free to suggest some other ukes!
thanks a lot!

I have the 3rd one on your list and it's a great uke. Comes with a case, chord book, and pitch pipe as well. MGM sets them up and it comes good to go. I'd recommend it to anything looking to buy a uke in that price range. It sounds pretty darn good.

My 1st Ukulele was also the KA-C. Love it. really easy to play. Sounds so much better when I switched over to Aquilas. I personally havent played either of the 1st two but I can Vouch for the Kala. Plus you really cant go wrong with MGM. I havent bought anything off him but he comes very highly recommended here in the Forums

Good luck

If you are going to spend that much money for a laminate - you should really consider the mainland Uke. A solid wood - tremendous sound, tremendous craftsmanship, great uke for the money.

thanks for the input about the Kala KA-C! i ended up purchasing that uke along with Aquila strings and a set up from a webstore for 105 shipped! free bag and tuner included :)
it was a hard choice, but the low price got the best of me... i haven't even received the uke yet and i want to purchase another! lol

Funhop, where did you make that purchase? I'm interested in the KA-C as well, im deciding between that and the KA-S. Can't make up my mind for which is best for beginner.

The Ohanas are solid not laminate....

If you are going to spend that much money for a laminate - you should really consider the mainland Uke. A solid wood - tremendous sound, tremendous craftsmanship, great uke for the money.
I would have gone for one of the Ohanas.
Both the Ohana ukes, CK-25 and SK-25 are all solid mahogany, top, back and sides, not laminate. I have bought 2 Ohana ukes so far and have found them to be outstanding value instruments. I'm in the market for another! :music:

I would have gone for one of the Ohanas.
Both the Ohana ukes, CK-25 and SK-25 are all solid mahogany, top, back and sides, not laminate. I have bought 2 Ohana ukes so far and have found them to be outstanding value instruments. I'm in the market for another! :music:

What sizes do you have and what size are you shopping for currently?

/UAS by proxy...

get a mainland, there in your price range and they are amazing

yeah, i'm after one too. thanks to link and his constant facebook boasting :mad:

like honestly after buying and playing the mainland i feel like i am such a better player. idk y, but like im upgrading from a piece of crap uke, and i probably feel this way because i never knew a uke could sound this nice!

i have a mainland soprano matte finish mahogany uke w/ sealed gold ebony tunings coming in at the end of may! i can't wait!
i bought a lanikai lu-21 as my temporary uke. this way in the future if a n00b wants to touch my uke, ill give them my lanikai!

Top Bottom