Can a strap pin be installed on a reso uke?

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I just got a nice Recording King reso uke from One Bad Monkey today and so far I really like it. I'm wondering if a strap pin can be installed in the body. I've been having some shoulder issues lately and have been having problems holding any of my ukes without a strap.

While possible, I'd suggest you get one you can tie to your headstock.

While possible, I'd suggest you get one you can tie to your headstock.

I mean in the lower bout behind the bridge. I'll install the other pin in the neck heel because tying the strap around the headstock makes the uke feel awkward.

My Donmo has a body strap pin, needs a strap pin because it is heavy. The body is steel and a self tapping screw is used to hold the pin in place. I tie the other end to the headstock.

So there is a block there for the screw to dig into? I'm clueless when it comes to resonator construction.

I think there is a 'stick' (technical term?) that runs from the end of the neck, through the body to the end of the uke.
You probably want to avoid screwing into that.
I have a Recording King sop reso, which is made of European bell brass iirc, Brass being a fairly soft metal, and not too thick may have issues with the number of threads it can take.
Might be better to screw into a new block placed inside the lower bout.
Might be worth posting something in the Luthiers Forum for a more informed response.
h

sucker

I use a sucker instead of strap pin. The sucker is 5cm diameter. It was only $1 in DIY shop. It works very good and never had a trouble for me over 3 months. You can just try it to see how strap works.

attachment.php

Top Bottom