Making a bone nut -- attracting dogs...

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm working on another prototype and decided to set this one up with real bone at the nut and saddle. The problem was that I didn't have any, so I made a visit to a large, independent pet food store that I remembered as having lots of various bones.

They didn't fail me! Nice chunky cow bone sections for just a couple of bucks each, already cleaned (boiled, I suspect).

Came back and started to hack one up with a sawzall prior to band-sawing and our two mutts were suddenly pushing me out of the way to get at what I was doing. The response was nearly instantaneous, and they were more than a little interested. Fortunately I'd also gotten them some of their own -- complete with marrow and some nasty looking dried flesh on the exterior. They're in heaven, still gnawing on them now.

By the way, a Wagner Safe-t-planer will thickness bone just fine :)

bone_saddle.jpg

Yep, I buy the same thing at the local Petsmart. I cut em with a 14tpi 1/8" bandsaw blade. shape on the belt sander then finer grits on up to a lovely polish. They look deep and glossy. Some have a bit of color variation or streaking which I really like.

And I definitely don't breath that dust. Plus I don't care for the smell of cut bone, but for the price, and performance, can't be beat.

Top Bottom