Are you addicted to playing your ukulele?

Cassie

Reaction score
Are you a uke addict? Here's a little list of ways you can know if you're addicted.

• You know if you're a uke addict if someone calls you crazy and you say G.
  • You know you're a uke addict if you go fishing and you're talking to the person you're putting string on the pole and you say, "Do you want a high G or low G on it?"
  • you know your addicted if you hear someone ask if you want a mango or pineapple and you say yes because you're thinking of ukes.
  • You know you're addicted if you refer to duke nukem as duke ukem.
  • You know you have a uke addiction if you listen to hawaiian songs and know exactly what kind of uke they're playing as well as the type of strings.
  • You know if you're addicted if you set your phone's alarm clock to play crazy G by Shimabukuro.
  • You know if you're addicted if you worship shimabukuro.
  • You know if you're addicted to ukes if you watch sponge bob squear pants just to listen to the uke in the background.
  • you know that you're addicted if you start refering to the UK as the uke.
  • You're addicted if you hear the word dolphin and you start thinking about the Kala dolphin uke.

And Last but not least, You know if you are a uke addict if you start saying ah shimabukuro instead of the curse word.
    If you've said yes to any of these, then you have a major uke addiction. If you can think of some other silly ways to know if you're an addict, please let me know. These are meant to be funny,not taken seriously. Please feel free to come up with new ones.

Last edited:
I really like the dolphin comment. The same happens to me when I here shark, they use to scare me. Shark is a double whammy cause mentally I say, snark, snark, snark.

You know you are addicted when you wake up in the middle of the night and go down stairs to make sure your Oasis humidifers are full. So I have been told, not really my issue :eek:

Last edited:
You know you are addicted to playing the uke when you keep one under your desk in the office to play whenever there is a lull.

You know you are addicted if you telecommute to an IT job and always mute your phone and play your uke during meetings. The other day when I thought I was muted someone asked who had their radio on... Oops!

You know you are addicted if you telecommute to an IT job and always mute your phone and play your uke during meetings. The other day when I thought I was muted someone asked who had their radio on... Oops!

That's why I play a solid-body at work! Loud enough for me, but others can't really hear it if I am careful.

You know your addicted if in the first 18 months of playing, you've gone through 16 ukes (guilty, but down to four now, and I know I'm addicted to bass ukes because in less than a year I have 6).

You know your an addict when you already have two Ukuleles and you've only been playing a month.

You know your an addict when you have included your Ukulele in your emergency evacuation plans and kits.

Are you a uke addict? Here's a little list of ways you can know if you're addicted.

• You know if you're a uke addict if someone calls you crazy and you say G.
  • You know you're a uke addict if you go fishing and you're talking to the person you're putting string on the pole and you say, "Do you want a high G or low G on it?"
  • you know your addicted if you hear someone ask if you want a mango or pineapple and you say yes because you're thinking of ukes.
  • You know you're addicted if you refer to duke nukem as duke ukem.
  • You know you have a uke addiction if you listen to hawaiian songs and know exactly what kind of uke they're playing as well as the type of strings.
  • You know if you're addicted if you set your phone's alarm clock to play crazy G by Shimabukuro.
  • You know if you're addicted if you worship shimabukuro.
  • You know if you're addicted to ukes if you watch sponge bob squear pants just to listen to the uke in the background.
  • you know that you're addicted if you start refering to the UK as the uke.
  • You're addicted if you hear the word dolphin and you start thinking about the Kala dolphin uke.

And Last but not least, You know if you are a uke addict if you start saying ah shimabukuro instead of the curse word.
    If you've said yes to any of these, then you have a major uke addiction. If you can think of some other silly ways to know if you're an addict, please let me know. These are meant to be funny,not taken seriously. Please feel free to come up with new ones.

• Yes. YES! and OH HELL YES!!! to ALL of the above. I love it - you are an artful master of meaningful words.

I really like the dolphin comment. The same happens to me when I here shark, they use to scare me. Shark is a double whammy cause mentally I say, snark, snark, snark.

Shark and Dolphin are by definition Kala UKE models and anybody that thinks they are a species of FISH (or mammal) are just plain WRONG. LOL :)

That hasn’t happened to me yet, but one time while talking on the phone to a friend, I was tuning one of my ukes, and he just stopped talking for like a whole 2 minutes because he thought that I put him 'on hold' and was listening to some avante-guard elevator music...

You know your addicted if in the first 18 months of playing, you've gone through 16 ukes (guilty, but down to four now, and I know I'm addicted to bass ukes because in less than a year I have 6).

Eighteen ukes and counting (in 30 months since I started playing), and I have released/re-homed/sold exactly NONE of them. I will sell a few unplayed guitars first though.

You know your an addict when you have included your Ukulele in your emergency evacuation plans and kits.

Don't play with ME - I have a real problem deciding which of the only 1 or 2 ukes (of the 18 mentioned above) that I will take with me when the alarm sounds, and if both hands are full and I'm also wearing a backpack (my bug-out bag), WHO is going to take the CAT?!?! Maybe he learns to surf when the tsunami hits the USA East Coast...

For me, what's worse than that is when I am NOT playing the ukulele, I am sort of going over drills, scales and chord progressions in my head (and can even HEAR the uke in my mind) and I'm off mentally rehearsing songs, while trying to induce the sensation into my fingertips of actually PLAYING, even when no uke is in hand. Maybe I'm just 'mental' to begin with?

When I'm NOT actually playing, I am intensely THINKING about playing...

Cassie - THANK YOU so very much for this thread, this is a WONDERFUL topic! and one of the reasons why I love the folks here on UU so much, yes, I LOVE YOU! I said it and I do have a ukulele addiction problem -- MUUUAAAAAHHHH!!!

:music: :shaka: :)

When you pass by a lovely woman with an hourglass figure and think first of the body shape of a ukulele before anything else.

When you pick up your uke in the morning before your first cup of coffee and cigarette.

When every spare moment of the freakin day is spent looking at online ukulele marketplaces instead of p***.

:stop:

And when you start to really believe that you've been separated at birth from members of this forum!

Just addicted to buying them. If I was as addicted to playing them, I'd be a lot better than I am.

All your ideas are Awesome! Now that we've got some good Ideas for uke addiction symptoms, we now need to figure out some good uke withdrawal symptoms. Feel free to tell me your experience with uke withdrawal and you can definitely give some more silly ideas for withdrawal symptoms. Keep them coming.

Last edited:
You know you're addicted to the ukulele when Tiny Tim's CDs/LPs are in your collection.

Last edited:
All your ideas are awesome. Now that we have some ways to know if you're an addict, we need to find some ways to treat that addiction and bust the withdrawal. Speaking of withdrawal, tell me you're experiences with uke withdrawal if you've had to go through it before. They can be serious or silly. just keep the ideas coming. I myself can't think of ways to bust uke addiction but if you can, keep those ideas coming. I thought of one for withdrawal. You know if you're experiencing uke withdrawal if you make the chord shapes with your fingers without a uke in your arms.

Last edited:
Awesome! I love those. I don't even have my first uke and I'm already guilty of some of those. Especially the one about saying Ah Shimabukuro instead of the curse word. Here are a few more.
If you see a lady wearing a g string and you ask if that is a low g or high g you've got. I mean no offense to anybody and I apologize if it's too graphic.

When your gear bag has at least four dozen loose nylon strings and none of them are marked or sized....

When your gear bag has at least four dozen loose nylon strings and none of them are marked or sized....

When your WHAT ?

Oh silly me...I read that as Bear Gag .....oops

When you pass by a lovely woman with an hourglass figure and think first of the body shape of a ukulele before anything else.

When you pick up your uke in the morning before your first cup of coffee and cigarette.

When every spare moment of the freakin day is spent looking at online ukulele marketplaces instead of p***.

:stop:

Just priceless Jon!

Top Bottom