Pickup Noob

the.ronin

Reaction score
Just wanted to write for those of you that might have tried a pickup before and shied away from it. That's what I did - I had a Cordoba with I think their called piezo pickups with the dials and 9v battery. I tried so many different amps and so many settings and just never liked the sound. I ended up selling it and have shied away from amps ever since.

Well, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a KoAloha tenor and decided, I'd install a pickup on that one since I already had another tenor anyway. But I didn't want to skimp so I went with a Misi (the LR Baggs 5.0 was a tough choice based on reviews).

Well I just got it back this afternoon, the guy let me plug it into a nice acoustic amp and ... WOW. JUST WOW. I still was a little worried because I know his amp was pricey and all I have at home is a Vox Pathfinder 10 for an electric guitar. But it still sounds AWESOME!!! I'm sure it can sound better but I am totally happy with it. So I figured I'd try one of those tine battery operated portable amps (Blackstar Fly 3) ... STILL WOW!!! lol I am so happy with this setup if I had the cash, I'd install a pickup on at least one more of my ukes.

Reason I like it? You can hear EVERYTHING. And its so clear. So aside from getting a very high volume clear sound, it also makes you more disciplined because you can hear mistakes a lot better.

So if you shied away from amps and wondering whether to give it another shot ... DO EEEETTT!!! so worth it!!!

I've installed under saddle pickups and active preamps on many of my ukes that I've ordered direct from China. The care is to be sure the pickup in the channel is making even contact with the bridge.

kohanmike, I'm hearing from you that it really shouldn't matter the quality of the uke rather the installation of the pickup. I'm not sure what it was with that Cordoba that just didn't sound good. It could have been a poor installation, the piezo pickup itself, or (honestly) just my playing. That is good to know though because I am really considering installing a Braggs on one of my concerts - I was hesitant because the Cordoba was a concert.

Either way, I'd have it professionally installed as well. I do most things myself such as setups and nut and saddle shaping and installs but this one I don't want to mess up.

I've got the K&K aloha twin on my Martin 2K and it sounds amazing. I run through an LR Baggs Gigpro. Very nice set up. Yes, I've had cheaper on-board systems like the one that came with my KALA and it was OK, but you definitely get what you pay for with this stuff, and like already mentioned. Installation and placement is key. I had a luthier who is knowledgable in electric and old world instruments (He builds lutes, etc) install it.

Top Bottom