Is this a real Kamaka white label soprano?

sbpark

Reaction score
I'm no expert, and have been away from the site for a while, and came across this uke. Wondering if it's a real Kamaka or not. What's making me question it is the binding and the bridge looks different/can't recall ever seeing a Kamaka bridge that has the three white dots. What do you guys think? Thanks to all in advance!

Here are a few more pics. I'm really thinking this is a fake. Look at how inconsistent the binding is around the edges.

That doesn't look like any Kamaka white label I've ever seen, and I've owned two of them. Look at the way the top seems to be banded with a wood binding. I've never seen that. And I don't remember seeing three white dots on the bridge either.

Last edited:
The "deluxe" models of the period had binding. Mmstan is most knowledgable about Kamakas.

The "deluxe" models of the period had binding. Mmstan is most knowledgable about Kamakas.

True, but I don't think the banding was wood other than rope binding. I've looked more closely at the photos, and maybe the banding isn't wood after all. But I still don't recognize the dots on the bridge. But then again, I haven't seen examples of all Kamakas ever built, either. So, perhaps it is authentic?

Last edited:
I would send a message with pics to Kamaka. I would think they know their ukuleles best.

Yes it's a real kamaka, ones with binding are special order or deluxe models, so few are made
This is a white label from 1982 up ...

I saw and played a white label with wood binding and gorgeously flamed woods at an extremely reputable shop in Tokyo a few weeks ago. I was told it was a custom order. Lovely uke but the neck shape wasn't to my liking

Top Bottom