Do you name your uke?

Cassie

Reaction score
This time I have a more serious topic. Have you ever given your uke a name? If so, what is it? I'm thinking of naming the one I get for Christmas, if I get one. I'm thinking of reserving the name Leilani for a lanikai. Then you could basically call it Leilanikai. Get it? If I were to get a Kala, I'm not sure what I would call that one. I prefer Hawaiian names and the proper way to pronounce them. That's why I'm asking for some of your uke names. Sorry there are 2 posts on the same topic. I don't know how to eraise one of them. I really really really want a uke for Christmas. It's at the top of my list. I have a bad case of what you might call Pre UAS. I say Pre because I don't have one yet. How would you diagnose my case?

Last edited:
If I were to get a Kala, I'm not sure what I would call that one.

How about Kalalele? Not to be too irreverent, but all my ukes already came with names; Lanikai, Gretsch, Kala, Uku, Mahalo, GT, Rondo, Les Paul (hark, a proper name) even my customs; Gypsy, Mandolele, Tele, so I never thought of changing them. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

My all-black Korala is named Johnny, after Johnny Cash (y'know, the Man in Black).

When I pick it up to play I like to say "Heeere's Johnny!", but only if no one else is in the room :)

No, I don't name them.

I like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any cash. I'm asking for a uke from my mom for Christmas. I want to get one so bad I might bust! LOL. The closer it gets, the worse my pre UAS seems to get.

Yessss...but nothing you could say in polite company...usually after a specactular finger top bout edge interface catastrophe during a particularly fast strum .

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu B etc etc, und so weiter...

I named my plastic Kealoha that I play in the bathtub "Bubbles." I just got another one, mostly just to keep Bubbles company. So I guess her name will be "Bubbles Too."

I named my plastic Kealoha that I play in the bathtub "Bubbles." I just got another one, mostly just to keep Bubbles company. So I guess her name will be "Bubbles Too."
:rofl::biglaugh:

Yep, and all the names are the given names by the maker. My overall favorite is "LU-6 6-String." My least favorite varies by circumstance and is usually referred by the nickname "&%#€$¥@!" when bad things happen.

image.jpg

Larry, Moe, and Ignatius.

I understand that it is harmless and meant to be fun but I don't get it. I find it odd when/if someone refers to an inanimate object by name as if it were a person, even more so if they attribute human characteristics or behavior to it. I refer to mine by their brand name, the/my Pono, Ohana or Lanikai.

I find it odd when/if someone refers to an inanimate object by name as if it were a person, even more so if they attribute human characteristics or behavior to it.

Your post is a rascal, with an itchy little goatee, who whistles loudly between two fingers to hail his mother.

Last edited:
"What's in a name?" Would a Uke sound sweeter if you didn't call it "&%#€$¥@'"?

miklz777, I thought so too, but I guess it takes all kinds.

Well, onward and upward. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
my jumbo soprano is talula. sweet, thick, curvy and naughty

Talula (also the name of my sailboat) is a Choctaw Indian name meaning leaping water.

I understand that it is harmless and meant to be fun but I don't get it. I find it odd when/if someone refers to an inanimate object by name as if it were a person, even more so if they attribute human characteristics or behavior to it. I refer to mine by their brand name, the/my Pono, Ohana or Lanikai.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe that desire comes from a deep seated racial memory that harks back to the time when Animism was a widely held belief system.

Top Bottom