Hokukano thinline

Highmiles

Reaction score
Rather than steal an existing thread (pet peave) I decided to ask here. Does anyone have a thinline tenor by Tom Parse of Hokukano Ranch? Does anyone have any information or videos. There is not a lot out there, other than a couple videos and I am really interested. I first got interested in thin lines when I saw the HMS comparison of the KoAloha tenors. I was amazed at the volume, sustain, and richness of the sound on the thin lines. When Tangimango put up a link in the other post, it really got me interested. I was most impressed with the sustain and tone, and now I'm afraid I have the bug.
P.S. Thanks Tangimango!

My apologies to the OP of that other thread for "semi-pirating". Pirating is also a pet peeve of mine.

The video posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsEtBbftIQ
doesn't have any sound samples, just opinion.

My experience and opinion is with Kala thinlines. The director of our ukulele club promotes the Kala thinline tenor with low G to every new member who doesn't know what to buy! There are lots of them in our club and I'm unimpressed, and feel sorry for all the little old ladies with a tenor who have trouble stretching for the chords. I looked at one when I was first looking to upgrade and quickly put it back on the wall because of lack of volume and depth of tone. Our director has one and uses it amped and for travel, otherwise he uses something else.

I listened to the HMS Koaloha thinline video comparing side by side to a regular Koaloha tenor and although they sounded very close, to me I thought the regular body had more volume and depth of tone. YRMV!

So, if you want the compactness and feel of a thinbody go for it, but IMHO comparing them to full body ukes is comparing apples to oranges.

I'm less than impressed with the Kala travel Uke also. On the other hand, go back to the HMS comparison and wait for the second part, when Corey starts doing the strum introduction to Over the Rainbow. To my ears, it was much richer than the full size KTM. I also think that the Hokukano is a far different class of instrument from the KoAloha and of course, the Kala. Because of it's light construction, the sustain is incredible.

The Kala thin bodies are very thin. Most other brands are not that extreme. Ko'olau made a thin body recently and it was one of the best ukes I've heard. I even called Andrew at HMS and he said it was one of the best that Noa made.

Go for it and let us know!!

Last edited:
Funny thing. I am impressed with the Kala travel ukuleles. This may be only because I don't like Kalas. The thin bodied models sound (to me) surprisingly full. In fact I think the sound is a bit bigger than that of comparable conventional Kalas, which I again admit I find lacking.
There I go hijacking the thread.
Never heard a Hokukano.

Funny thing. I am impressed with the Kala travel ukuleles. This may be only because I don't like Kalas. The thin bodied models sound (to me) surprisingly full. In fact I think the sound is a bit bigger than that of comparable conventional Kalas, which I again admit I find lacking.
There I go hijacking the thread.
Never heard a Hokukano.
Thanks for that information. I have only heard a recording of the Kala, so I really shouldn't have judged. I appreciate your comments.
I guess you are not alone when it comes to the Hokukano. I was hoping there was more out there as far as information or videos.
Maybe one of our other luthiers from Hawaii have an opinion on Tom Parse's work or thinline theories?

yup , kala thin body is extreme, but is louder then there full body, kala sopranos and even concert. the reason is the thin line has a arch dome back , not flat or even tapered.

but I suggest you play some thin lines, before you buy, not only koolau, even other luthiers like Anaole has made thin lines. in general most thin line ukulele all sound good to me that ive tried at local Uke shop. not sure how thin you want them but I know Koalohas regular line is thinner then most builders. and they are loud. I think koaloha concert is like a little over 2" inch wide.

also its much more comfortable to hold since its thinner you don't need to extend your arm/elbow so far out. also if your over weight, short armed. or big breasted. thin lines will help. LOL

The Kala thin bodies are very thin. Most other brands are not that extreme. Ko'olau made a thin body recently and it was one of the best ukes I've heard. I even called Andrew at HMS and he said it was one of the best that Noa made.

Go for it and let us know!!

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for some enlightening leads and information on thin bodied tenors. Not only have I gotten help here, but in PM's also. What a wonderful resource we have in this forum.

Highmiles:
Tom Parse here from Hokukano Ukuleles. I can be contacted @ tomparse@gmail.com I have been in Alaska for the summer and will be returning to Hawaii Nov 14th. I have been working on some new developments with the thin-line ukes, slotted headstock w/stealth Gotoh tuners that give the uke a perfect balance. Also I have been using a new top wood that is amazing. Contact me and we can discus it.
Regards
Tom

Top Bottom