Kamaka & LR Baggs 5.0 issue

the.ronin

Reaction score
I just brought in my Kamaka HF3 (tenor) to have a pickup installed. I really trust these guys and they come well recommended from people I know as well as folks on this forum.

I just had a MiSi installed on another tenor so I was hoping to get the Baggs 5.0 on this one. But the guy saw it was a Kamaka and showed me how thin the saddle slot was and how the Baggs element would fold up slightly along the sides. So instead he recommended a Fishman element which is noticeably narrower with the MiSi system. Having done this before, on other Kamaka's he mentioned that he had ran it by MiSi themselves to make sure this was ok (actually, I'd read before on their website that using other elements was totally fine). The tech also mentioned that he thinks the Baggs would also work but since he had not done that before, he recommended to stick to this solution that he knows for sure will work.

I was really glad he caught this and we talked it through while I was there but also, I'm a little disappointed because I really wanted to try the Baggs having heard so much about it.

Any other Kamaka owners come across this?

I have it installed in a Kamaka Concert longneck and didn't have any issues. I had it installed from U-Space in L.A.

I thought the Misi and LR Baggs used the same piezo strip?

They do use the same strip. That's why he recommended the Fishman element which is narrower. Reason he recommended going with MiSi is just because that was the approach he used before on other Kamakas and had spoken with MiSi to confirm that was ok. He thinks it would still be ok using the Baggs system with the Fishman element but, to his credit, he warned me this was the first time he would have tried that.

We both looked at the Baggs / MiSi element and i can totally see what he was saying. It's just a bit too wide and definitely would not lay flat inside the saddle slot. I'm curious how its installed then either the saddle slot is expanded slightly but that would necessitate a new saddle or maybe the way it sits is just fine?

Sorry for the bump guys, just very curious to hear from others that have installed their 5.0 into their Kamaka particularly the HF3.

Top Bottom