Pekelo Book 1

johnson430

Reaction score
Just a quick FYI about the Pekelo series book 1.

I just received a used copy of Book 1 from another UU member and I have to say that I am very impressed with the wealth of information in the first section of the book.
Although I have worked through other books and knew most of the information, it was nice to see an "all the things a uke should know" put into the front of this book.

I would highly recommend this book to a beginner wanting to learn a 'proper technique' (whatever that means) or an intermediate player with a desire to improve their finger-style abilities.

One of the first books I bought was "Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele" but it was a bit too advanced for a novice like me. Although I think I can revisit that book once I finish Pekelo Book 1.

If you are a more advanced player then I think Book 2 would be a nice start. I became aware of this book series from a more advanced player who was working through book 2 and suggested I start with Book 1.

Perhaps others can share their experience with the Pekelo series as well.

Thanks for reading.
Johnson

Edit: This book is for Low G tuning but can be played with high G just be aware that the CD will sound different. Thanks to JustinJ for the info.

Last edited:
Please be aware that the book is for low G tuning and of limited value if you prefer a high G

Please be aware that the book is for low G tuning and of limited value if you prefer a high G

Edited after reading JustinJ's post below.
A high or low G string can be used for this book series.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of the Pekelo method regardless of low G or high G string is his emphasis on playing with a metronome in the examples. If you work with his books, your rhythm will improve.

Timing is one of the things most often overlooked by many players. You can count out a measure yourself but will slow down on difficult parts.

Put the metronome on and see if you're playing in time. I'm not suggesting playing all the time with a metronome. Especially when first learning new rhythms. Learn the finger placements and counting of the notes. Then add the metronome to your practice.

The Pekelo book teaches a four finger method of finger picking. This will be very helpful when tackling more difficult pieces. I know for myself that I was using a thumb and my pointer finger with an added middle finger sometimes. After working through the book, I now can play pieces that were too difficult to play before getting his book.

You could use this book with a high G string. It really does not matter. When you play along with him you will notice the difference in sounds but that is all.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of the Pekelo method regardless of low G or high G string is his emphasis on playing with a metronome in the examples. If you work with his books, your rhythm will improve.

Timing is one of the things most often overlooked by many players. You can count out a measure yourself but will slow down on difficult parts.

Put the metronome on and see if you're playing in time. I'm not suggesting playing all the time with a metronome. Especially when first learning new rhythms. Learn the finger placements and counting of the notes. Then add the metronome to your practice.

The Pekelo book teaches a four finger method of finger picking. This will be very helpful when tackling more difficult pieces. I know for myself that I was using a thumb and my pointer finger with an added middle finger sometimes. After working through the book, I now can play pieces that were too difficult to play before getting his book.

You could use this book with a high G string. It really does not matter. When you play along with him you will notice the difference in sounds but that is all.

Hmm, actually, YOU are correct. I re-read the beginning and it clearly states you can use a low or high G for the book series.
I will +1 the use of a metronome.
I was gifted an awesome Wittner MT-60 on my birthday and I can hear an improvement in my timing over the last few months.

I really enjoyed Pekelo book 1. It's very helpful in learning/practicing with the thumb and 3 fingers (pima). It's also teaches how to read music notation, great if you're a beginner. Also, I really enjoyed the Hawaiian music used throughout the book

Glad you're enjoying it! I was in the same position as you, the mark kailana learn to play fingerstyle book on Mel bay was just a tad too advanced, pekelo books were the perfect bridge that allowed me to develop the technique to where I can now tackle kailanas book now. In fact, Im handling Polani quite well and I really do owe the pekelo books for guiding me so well.

Yes, it's a great book. I have #1 and #2, and find I'm sort of transitioning into #2. I'm still sort of an advanced beginner, I guess. (Partly because I like to play a variety of songs rather than work hard to master a few.) My right hand has improved a lot with the Pekelo books, and I'm working on that stiff left hand pinky to get it to bend to my will.

These are great books, and high or low G they will help your playing.

Glad you're enjoying it! I was in the same position as you, the mark kailana learn to play fingerstyle book on Mel bay was just a tad too advanced, pekelo books were the perfect bridge that allowed me to develop the technique to where I can now tackle kailanas book now. In fact, Im handling Polani quite well and I really do owe the pekelo books for guiding me so well.

Thanks for selling the book to me Recstar24. I will "pay it forward" to another UU member in the future when I finish this book and buy book 2.
That being said, if you are a UU member reading this and are thinking about buying this book, it is worth the money they are asking.

Furthermore, Recstar24 is a music teacher and his praising of this book should give beginners and intermediates the confidence that this series is worth a try.

Thanks again,
Johnson

Yes, it's a great book. I have #1 and #2, and find I'm sort of transitioning into #2. I'm still sort of an advanced beginner, I guess. (Partly because I like to play a variety of songs rather than work hard to master a few.) My right hand has improved a lot with the Pekelo books, and I'm working on that stiff left hand pinky to get it to bend to my will.

These are great books, and high or low G they will help your playing.

Laura,
So glad to see another positive comment about the Pekelo series. I think more players need to be aware of this series. I tried several other books before this but feel like I am getting more out of this series than other beginner books I have tried...
and I have had the book less than one week.

If and when anyone would like to sell theirs, please PM me. :D

I posted a "WTB: Pekelo book 1" in the UU marketplace area and had an offer to buy a used copy within 2 hours.
I would suggest you start a thread there. I am sure someone would be willing to part with a copy.
Or check out this link and see if you can find a new copy at a music store:
http://www.pekelosbooks.com/storelistings.php

Unfortunately, Amazon and Elderly Music have it listed as Out of Stock at the moment.

Good luck.
Johnson

Yeah, I looked at Amazon when I read the thread. Book 2 is there. I may try putting a post up. No real rush as I'm working on bass lines for my surf band right now. Poor little uke is sitting in her case, not getting any love (neither is my banjo). Acoustic guitar gets a little, as I play in a community band. Figured someone in the thread might be looking to offload theirs in a little bit.

Hi folks,

I bought both the volumes of this book, and have worked my way through most of the first book. I'm new to playing the ukulele, but not new to playing stringed instruments. Apart from trying to teach my ring finger how to pick the strings and not anchor my pinkie on the sound board, it's been fairly easy for me to go through this book, but I'm still glad I got it and agree that it's well written for the beginning player.

I can understand how not anchoring the pinkie will be an advantage when moving smoothly between strumming and picking, but it's just that ring finger which has me thinking though... I do want to learn "proper" technique so I won't run into trouble down the road, but I've been spending waaay to much time on YouTube lately looking at ukulele players, and I can't help but notice that no one seems to use their ring finger to pick. Most of the really talented people, seem to mostly use their thumb to pick, but throw in the index and middle finger where needed, but never the ring finger. The only people I've seen use their ring finger, have been, in a polite way of saying it, not up to an advanced level yet.

Am I wrong? I really hope I am and you all can share some information of great players that use their ring fingers. Cause I'm really putting in an effort to use mine now since this book preaches it. I can do it all right, for the exercises in this book it's no problem, but I can tell that it's going to take a very long time before I reach the same touch, timing and tone as I can achieve with my other fingers. I'm somewhat afraid that I'm putting in all this practice for something that I'll never use, and would be better off practising something else instead.

If anyone has any thoughts about this, I would very much appreciate your input! Many thanks in advance,
Max

Last edited:
maxmax,

Youtube Matt Dahlberg. He's got some killer videos and uses a 4 finger picking technique with no anchor. I've taken lessons with him through skype and through our lessons he pretty much sold me on using 4 fingers.

Not anchoring my pinky is more comfortable for me. For other players it's probably more comfortable for them. We all have our own way of playing, and while I can admire others' artistry, I don't feel the need to imitate everyone's techniques. Should I just use my thumb like Ohta San? Use a pick like Brittni Paiva? Kimo Hussey plays in a very unique way, lots of upstrokes, should I do that? Grow my nails or keep them short?

Not anchoring my pinky and/or ring finger is definitely more comfortable for me. Trying to force myself to anchor makes my hand too tight and restrictive.

Now, when I flatpick on guitar, I anchor my fingers. For uke, for whatever reason anchoring just doesn't work with me, I prefer the "free stroke" approach as it keeps my hand relaxed, and I don't have issues hitting the wrong string.

Four Finger not anchoring ukulele players

Sara Maisel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP4-Loy65vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO66EHpuRko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0lqR1-UmU Gerald Ross

Takashi Nakumura Jazz Guitar Professor and ukulele player from Japan. He plays a four finger with a mixture of using the thumb. I like how he adds percussion to the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hTMwGI69rY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvNR9cptbk

A really nice version of the Jazz song Spain. Look around four minute to see him using four fingers to play part of the solo. There is also a ukulele bass player on this video for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZM1jdHpxs

If you like the arrangement of the first video by Takashi, he has a book available. There are more difficult arrangements in the book but they're all very musical.

see my post here
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-turnaround-progression&p=1736531#post1736531

James Hill only using a thumb to play as an example of the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UyRjYVDP3s

I use all four fingers without anchoring. Now that I've started playing classical guitar, I'm glad that I learned it from Pekelo. Using all four fingers will allow you to develop speed.

Sometimes when I play Jazz, I will use my thumb. It will give you a nice Jazz tone. It also a little less bright.

Why limit yourself to one technique? The way I approach the ukulele is to learn various forms of music and techniques. It can only add to your playing ability.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if it's worth learning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links justin! Some great players for sure. Love James hill for the reason you stated, very versatile player that has any different styles he likes to employ.

I love thumb picking, it was the first way I really started playing and James hill does a great job explaining the technique and how to influence tone through thumb position. I like to use a thumb rest stroke for playing melodies as it gives you a very round fat tone that is still focused.

Just FYI guys I ordered book 1 from elderly middle of the month. It is on back order says they expect to receive a shipment sep 3

Top Bottom