Researching new pickup for bass

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just purchased the Phil Jones Double4 bass amp to compliment my Chennell archtop bass. The cleanness of sound on this little amp is outstanding.

The volume was lacking and after checking the amp out with other electric instruments, we came to the conclusion it is more than likely a cheap passive pickup used. Toby couldn't remember but thought it was an Artec passive. Looking up on Ebay the Artec pp417 goes for around $6.80. I'm not sure if it's a pp417 but Toby mentioned it was cheap and had it around the shop.

I wrote mike at PJB and he thought a Shadow pickup used by Kala was a good one.

My luthier is busy getting instruments ready for the local schools so I have a couple of weeks before I take it in.

I would assume it should be an under saddle pickup due to it being f holes. I don't want to cut into it for a preamp.

Any suggestions? If a Shadow p/u which model? I'm more interested in quality than cost.

Here's a photo of the bass.

Attachments

• 11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 32
I just received this from Marc at Shadow Electronics. He is waiting shipment of new electronics and feels there may something in there that will fit the bill nicely. I wrote back saying I wasn't adverse to an active pickup as long as I didn't have to cut the sides for the preamp. I mentioned Jon and Mike as recommendations for Shadow p/u's
Here's what he wrote:

Patrick,
that is by far the coolest Ukulele that I have seen!

Thanks to Mike and Jon for the recomendation. Give me a short bit to see
what would be the best for your purposes. I have an order that will be
sent from headquarters shortly and will be able to get something I might
not always stock.

Marc Romansky
Shadow Electronics

Received a message from Shadow saying the only pickup they can recommend from them is the one Kala uses on their Ubass. That would entail cutting the side and back for the preamp and battery.

I've got a message to Misi seeing if their active p/u will work on a bass.

Top Bottom