New Kinnard Longneck Concert (Sadly, not NUD!)

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I wasn't sure to post this in Uke Talk or Reviews. It's certainly not a review, but it is admiration about a new Kinnard. Moderators, move if appropriate.

I had the pleasure of hanging out on Saturday with Kevin Beddoe of Kinnard Ukes. I got to check out a new Longneck Concert (17" scale) that could be the big brother of my and @dirtiestkidever's Kinnard Large Body sopranos.

It has the same exceptional Western Red cedar top and gorgeously figured claro walnut body as our sopranos. Like mine, this one also features a satin finish neck (I cannot recommend this highly enough) and a sound hole (which I also really prefer).

Like all Kinnards I've seen and played (about 25 to date, seriously), it is impeccably finished down to the finest detail. I'm not much of a player yet, but I have learned quite a bit about finely crafted ukes. There are a few builders out there that punch above their fighting weight and Kinnard is one of them. What do I mean? I mean they seem to be at least a notch above similarly priced ukes. Kinnards are steadily creeping their way to the price point they have earned and deserve, but personally I still find them to be quite the value. I am fully committed to buying at least one more Kinnard.

Those attending the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival will get to see this in person. For those who won't be there, below are a couple of photos. She’s a beauty. I love, love, love the walnut/abalone rosette.

As to sound? Great sustain along the whole neck. Excellent, clear voice. It had a slightly higher tension string than I generally prefer, but I think this one is a winner.

20240573933_4729de000a_c.jpg
[/url

Disclosures: Kevin did buy my lunch, but I bought us beers. Maybe I can be bought, but not so cheaply. ;-) They make a wonderful uke and Kevin and John are good people to boot. I can look myself in the mirror and comfortably say, “I’m a Kinnard fan-boy!” They don't compensate me, nor do they need to.

I've met Kevin several times -- we emailed when John was getting ready to build his first Kinnard baritone (which turned out beautifully), and have met him at a bunch of festivals since. John is now building me a tenor guitar, and Kevin has been great to work with. I hope to meet John someday, but I've had the chance to play several of his ukes and they were all delightful.

I'm a Kinnard fan boy too!

Thanks for your contribution Eddie. We all live in different locations and your accessibility to John Kinnard ukuleles gives you a great oppourtunity to showcase them for us. It really does help the rest of us that can't visit them. A Kinnard will definitely be in my future

Awesome Uke!

Some day Eddie, I hope to have one in my arms too.

Very nice looking uke. I wonder how much they cost?

I should add that the Kinnard's are great. John makes an outstanding product.

I've met him and he's super cool as well. Quite a joker! He's also super talented at art. His paintings are really good!

I've got a tenor which is my main uke (redwood/maple), and my dad has 2 tenors (bearclaw spruce/brazilian rosewood & sinker redwood/maple). They are all awesome!

That looks like a killer uke! I have a Kinnard tenor and it is my favorite and most played instrument.

Awesome. Now you make me want a Kinnard...never tried one.....

Top Bottom