sAME STRINGS FOR SOPRANO/CONCERT/TENOR?

strumsilly

Reaction score
I was searching for strings online and noticed one seller[manufacturer] that offers strings that are advertised for Conc/Sop/Ten .
With 5 inches difference in scale length, assuming just right for the concert, wouldn't the tension be off on the other scales.?

Not "off," but more tension on the longer scales. Lots of string manufacturers sell soprano/concert sets; it's just more tension on the concert. (BTW, I don't think it's five inches difference in scale length from soprano to tenor, isn't it like 3-4?)

If you keep the same strings, tuning, and use a longer scale, then tension goes up.
But even with strings that have different sets for tenor as opposed to sop/concert, the tenor is higher tension.
It's one reason some people prefer soprano/concert because even a "low tension" set on a tenor is tighter than a "higher tension" soprano.
When ever I pick up a soprano, I feel like I'm playing rubber bands because I play pretty much just tenor.
That's not a knock on smaller scale, because it kinda has to be that way because of physics.
A soprano player that picks up a tenor is going to think it's too tight.

Not "off," but more tension on the longer scales. Lots of string manufacturers sell soprano/concert sets; it's just more tension on the concert. (BTW, I don't think it's five inches difference in scale length from soprano to tenor, isn't it like 3-4?)
yea, 3.25 inches. math is not my forte

Last edited:
yea, 3.25 inches. math is not my forte
I measure mine as:

Sopranos - 13.5in
Concert - 15in
Tenors - 17in

So that's 3.5in difference between Soprano and Tenor. YMMV. Looking at it from a Soprano's POV, the Tenor scale is ~27% longer. Thus if the strings are the same diameter and pitch then the Tenor's tension must be at least a quarter greater.

I've used Aquila concert sets on all three for years and years. They are larger diameter than soprano strings, so the tension to get the same pitch on a soprano scale is a little higher -- so they're less rubber-bandy feeling, and play more in tune. They are smaller diameter than tenor strings, so have less tension on a tenor scale, which makes them less stiff, which I like better for easier fingering. Plus I only have to keep one kind of strings. Works great for me!

Top Bottom