PDA

View Full Version : sAME STRINGS FOR SOPRANO/CONCERT/TENOR?

strumsilly
08-25-2015, 09:29 AM
I was searching for strings online and noticed one seller[manufacturer] that offers strings that are advertised for Conc/Sop/Ten .
With 5 inches difference in scale length, assuming just right for the concert, wouldn't the tension be off on the other scales.?

wayfarer75
08-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Not "off," but more tension on the longer scales. Lots of string manufacturers sell soprano/concert sets; it's just more tension on the concert. (BTW, I don't think it's five inches difference in scale length from soprano to tenor, isn't it like 3-4?)

spookelele
08-25-2015, 10:25 AM
If you keep the same strings, tuning, and use a longer scale, then tension goes up.
But even with strings that have different sets for tenor as opposed to sop/concert, the tenor is higher tension.
It's one reason some people prefer soprano/concert because even a "low tension" set on a tenor is tighter than a "higher tension" soprano.
When ever I pick up a soprano, I feel like I'm playing rubber bands because I play pretty much just tenor.
That's not a knock on smaller scale, because it kinda has to be that way because of physics.
A soprano player that picks up a tenor is going to think it's too tight.

strumsilly
08-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Not "off," but more tension on the longer scales. Lots of string manufacturers sell soprano/concert sets; it's just more tension on the concert. (BTW, I don't think it's five inches difference in scale length from soprano to tenor, isn't it like 3-4?)
yea, 3.25 inches. math is not my forte

k0k0peli
08-25-2015, 03:20 PM
yea, 3.25 inches. math is not my forte I measure mine as:

Sopranos - 13.5in
Concert - 15in
Tenors - 17in

So that's 3.5in difference between Soprano and Tenor. YMMV. Looking at it from a Soprano's POV, the Tenor scale is ~27% longer. Thus if the strings are the same diameter and pitch then the Tenor's tension must be at least a quarter greater.

Tim Mullins
08-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I've used Aquila concert sets on all three for years and years. They are larger diameter than soprano strings, so the tension to get the same pitch on a soprano scale is a little higher -- so they're less rubber-bandy feeling, and play more in tune. They are smaller diameter than tenor strings, so have less tension on a tenor scale, which makes them less stiff, which I like better for easier fingering. Plus I only have to keep one kind of strings. Works great for me!