low A string on a 6 string tenor?

tonelar

Reaction score
Hi,
New here, have been searching but couldn't find the info without asking.

I restrung my 6 string tenor with some new Aquila strings about a week ago and while re-tuning today; the red (low A) #1 string broke on me.

I wish now I hadn't thrown away the old set (cause then I could have measured the wound string that I replaced).

Anyone have a measurement for this string? I'm looking at silver/copper wound nylons in .029 .028 and .026 at the local shop.

I figure it's not the .029 (because that's usually the Low G tenor string replacement).

Yes I was going to say the same thing. In fact, most people here understand that you may use your six-string set as either low G or low A.
Kuana Torres Kahele, who is the voice of the volcano in Lava, actually uses both - a low G and a low A - on his six string!

The Mya Moe 6 string set ( Worth Strings) has the wound low a as .026.
Also, FYI, the low c is .022 (Savarez NFA100)
Also suggest you look at Southcoast Strings. Speak with Dirk to find the set that will give you the sound you desire.
For my last string change on my Mya Moe 6 string tenor I installed one of his linear sets with wound strings. That set turned a great Uke into a brilliant Uke. It rings like a bell, has amazing sustain, good separation between strings and when you play with a group of others playing various other Ukes, you are not drowned out but project a unique voice.
Please take what I say only as my opinion based on my experience with my instruments. There are no universal truths here. Just like every person is different, every Uke is different. Explore different types of strings. You will find the ones that your ears tell you is the right set for that particular instrument. Good luck and have fun. That's what it's all about really, isn't it?

Again, thanks guys. I'll actually google South Coast right after this. I emailed someone at Kamaka who sent me a measurement on their string set's low A and maybe it's a typo, but they sent .035. I'm assuming it's an error, cause that's bigger than the Low G, right?

Another point of interest is that the K brand sets they use are made up for them by D'addario.

I'm now looking at the .035 and thinking "maybe their Liliu 6 comes with no wound strings now?"

Again, thanks for sharing knowledge and advising me on this. Mahalo.

Yes I was going to say the same thing. In fact, most people here understand that you may use your six-string set as either low G or low A.
Kuana Torres Kahele, who is the voice of the volcano in Lava, actually uses both - a low G and a low A - on his six string!

Pueo,
So, if one were to choose lowG, would they tune the A set to the same A?

I wanna try that low G and A now.

Pueo said:
... you may use your six-string set as either low G or low A. Kuana Torres Kahele, who is the voice of the volcano in Lava, actually uses both - a low G and a low A - on his six string!
I wanna try that low G and A now.
Having both lo-G and lo-A almost makes the instrument a Venezuelan cuatro which (dropped a whole tone) is tuned GceA rather than the gCEa we're used to. Hmmm, replacing the hi-G with a lo-G on my Kala KA6 would be cheaper than buying a cuatro (though the cuatro has a baritone-size body and a longer neck, I think). Yeah, good idea!

Having both lo-G and lo-A almost makes the instrument a Venezuelan cuatro which (dropped a whole tone) is tuned GceA rather than the gCEa we're used to. Hmmm, replacing the hi-G with a lo-G on my Kala KA6 would be cheaper than buying a cuatro (though the cuatro has a baritone-size body and a longer neck, I think). Yeah, good idea!

careful, that's practical talk

Top Bottom