FS : Jay Lichty Custom tenor, sinker redwood & paua ferro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
Up for sale: Jay Lichty Custom tenor, sinker redwood & paua ferro.

Jay Lichty makes world class guitars and ukuleles, favored by many. This one is no exception. It truly is a top quality sound, look and feel. More about Jay's work can be found at lichtyguitars.com

These are the specs on this beautiful custom tenor:

• Made in North Carolina, completed January 2011
• Sinker Redwood Top
• Pau Ferro Back and Sides
• High gloss finish
• Mahogany neck, slightly on the thick side.
• Ebony Fretboard (looks like it is bound but it isn't)
• Ebony Through-string Bridge
• Fretboard markers are Paua Abalone dots on top and white dots on the side
• Back strip of maple?
• Head Plate Wood: Pau Ferro with Lichty logo in paua inlay
• Nut and Saddle: Bone, Compensation slant mount on the saddle
• Binding is Cocobolo with B/W strips, black white purfling on top binding
• Cocobolo endgraft
• Gotoh sealed gear tuners with amber knobs
• Sound hole 2 ring rosette: Paua Abalone ouser ring, black/white/black inner ring
• Gloss finish
• Tenor,standard shape
• 14 frets to body, 19 total
• Hard case included

Sound is clean and warm with much clarity and sustain. Good balance across the strings, currently strung with Fremont Blacklines and Soloist low g. Action is good for easy fretting and playing. There is no flaw I can find in construction.

The uke is in very good condition, it has some light wear and shows some use (strum marks, a little finish wear, and a couple small faint scratches). Finish is not perfect. While it is not in new condition, it’s not real far from it. No dings or hard wear.

Only looking to sale to reduce my hoard of ukes. I have 2 other sinker redwood tenors.

Here’s my fairly recent sound sample with Fremont blackline strings in c tuning.
https://app.box.com/s/wc9pzsd00xxwg7z1v211rs617okmvbvx

SOLD !

P1070163_zps1i8xkbxj.jpg

P1070165_zpshfcroiqd.jpg

P1070169_zpsyqpe95kc.jpg

P1070168_zpsgvktmklp.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Very striking use of wood. Looks like a gorgeous shot of tiger striped espresso, yum! Sounds as pretty as it looks!

Beautiful as all your offering are. If you have never had the absolute pleasure of working with this man, here's your chance. A true gentleman and a leader of this forum. Thanks Hodge.

What a beautiful instrument! Out of curiosity, how does that bridge work. Do you tie it and then put your hand in the sound hole and pull up through the bridge? I've never seen one like that before.

wow, what a beauty. I have had a uke with a bridge like this, and it's my favorute, 2nd is tie bridge, hate the pins, but they can look good. I wish I could play it in person, I know I'd never want to let go and would have to buy it. Hmm, time for a road trip back east? I'd like to get out of this smoke. We could use TS Erica out here to finally put out the fires.

Kimo's 19 inch scale tenor? round here we call that a baritone, just sayin

Yes, but I think the body is still tenor sized. So, I'd call his a long-neck tenor or super tenor (but super tenor means something different to some makers. )

My Lichty is a regular tenor, 17-inch scale.

BTW Here's an HMS video of another Lichty tenor (not mine).

https://vimeo.com/61063175

Last edited:
I've played this uke. Rich, warm sound and smooth playability. This is a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom