Smores

Rllink

Reaction score
We went over to the neighbor's house last evening and sat around a fire, drinking wine and making smores. We sang some old folk and anti war songs from our youth, and a few hymns. It was a lot of fun, and as the wine bottles got empty, the singing got louder. The only reason I posted this is because nothing has been posted here for three weeks, and I thought that I would get something else at the top of the Singing forum, so feel free to comment on Uke Talk if you don't want to here. ;)

Well, I'll admit, that I used to think that people thought that getting together, sitting around a fire or in the living room, playing and singing music like that was sort of corny. It is often depicted in movies and tv shows as being silly, or the butt of some joke, but secretly I always thought it looked fun. But now I'm always surprised at how much people like to do that. I'm surprised how much they want to sing along. I mean, my uke and I are in hot demand these days, and I like it. I really like other people singing with me, a lot more than I like just singing and playing for people.

Last edited:
People usta sit out on the front porch and play an instrument and sing too. That was also nice. I think times were so much nicer in days gone by. People don't even visit much anymore.

Well, time marches on, and we can't stop it. :eek:ld:

I think that television could be the reason people don't gather to sing in the living room...or porch... People use to have to get more creative for entertainment. I also think that the reason people don't use their porches as much may have to do with A/C. I could be wrong.

Every other Sunday our family meets at our home on the river for food, fellowship, fishing, boating and other good stuff. But most always we end with music before everyone departs. So much fun, and my wife and I almost cry when we are home alone once again. We always rehash it all, and retire to bed listening to the echos that ring through out the house.

My son plays guitar and uke, my wife plays piano or keyboard, I'm on uke or dulcimer and tremolo harmonica, grandson on guitar, twin grand daughters on kazoos, and if they bring friends with them we give them kazoos. Our daughter in law also plays piano. Our son in law just looks on with amazement, with this silly grin on his face, shaking his head. Everyone sings. Our daughter, the happiest person I know, just laughs and sings at the top of her voice. Can't sing a lick, but she doesn't know that and we don't tell. Too much fun to be had.

On that day, the almighty TV seldom gets any attention. Without music, we are a very very happy family. With music we are beyond happy. Off the charts.

Best regards to everyone.

I think that television could be the reason people don't gather to sing in the living room...or porch... People use to have to get more creative for entertainment. I also think that the reason people don't use their porches as much may have to do with A/C. I could be wrong.
We use our deck a lot. In fact, almost every day I play my uke outside on the deck, either in the front, or the back. I was on the front deck playing and singing the other day, and a young woman walked by and commented, "I wish you were my neighbor." I don't know if it was genuine, or if it was sarcasm, but I always take the positive interpretation of things people say, when I can. My next door neighbor is a young single grad student, and he always has friends hanging around in the afternoons. Sometimes when I am out on the back porch playing and singing, they are out there in his back yard as well. They never say much to me, but they don't seem to mind it either. He did tell me one day that they were having a bunch of people over to watch the Iowa vs Iowa State game, and that I needed to come over and do a half time show. Maybe he was kidding, maybe not.

But when I think about it, most of my neighbors are outside a lot. Maybe we are not the norm, but especially in the summer, everybody is out on their decks, or walking around the neighborhood. The neighbor on the other side of me has a pool, so they are out all the time. I especially hear their kids out there. One thing though, I'm retired, and I usually try to be done playing and singing before people start coming home from work. I'm not sure if they would appreciate my music while they are getting ready and eating supper, and especially if it was competing with whatever they are trying to listen to in the evenings.

This spring, when I started singing a lot, I was a little self conscious about singing outside, where someone might "hear me". I've gotten over that though. I think that just singing and playing outside is a good step for those who are shy about singing in public. It is putting yourself out there, but not playing directly to someone. I started out singing quietly, but I've been singing louder as time goes on. I discovered that when all else fails, belt it out, so I've been doing exactly that lately. Anyway, having done some singing and playing in public this summer, I've gotten better about the stage fright. But the other night when we were making smores, We didn't get going until eight thirty, and we went until close to ten, and we weren't real quiet about it. I'm sure someone had to be saying, "the old folks have finally lost it".

Last edited:
Top Bottom