Ottawa Folklore Center

Dude,
Sorry about your store.
I checked out some of your stuff on youtube and I'm sure you have got to be some of my kin somehow. I didn't know they had stumphole likker out there.I have done many things that I had to have a pull first but playing a uke ain't one of them.I guess some ukes are stronger than others.Any how May God bless.
Buiietbob

Yeah, it is sad. I live down the street from it. A mere 10 minute walk. Bought many things and had the guitar repair guy fix my ukes including my Martin 3 cherry. When they had a benefit concert last year, I knew that was delaying the sad inevitable end. The teaching part of the school has just opened up again in the basement of the place. I just noticed that earlier this week. I took a George Formby workshop there.

OFC.jpg

cheers,

Petey

Yeah, it is sad. I live down the street from it. A mere 10 minute walk. Bought many things and had the guitar repair guy fix my ukes including my Martin 3 cherry. When they had a benefit concert last year, I knew that was delaying the sad inevitable end. The teaching part of the school has just opened up again in the basement of the place. I just noticed that earlier this week. I took a George Formby workshop there.

View attachment 82846

cheers,

Petey

I was glad to hear they are still teaching lessons.

Used to love visiting OFC when I was in Ottawa, and I'm sad it had to go. Six or seven hours away so I didn't get there often.

A couple of years ago, one of my lids and I were there and I kept picking up a banjo-ukulele, playing it for a few minutes, then putting it down. Eventually my kid said, "If you don't buy that thing we're never going to get out of here!" I bought it.

The Ottawa Folklore centre brought me a lot of joy.

What a complete and utter drag.

They go way back in the folk community in Ottawa. I'm not from Ottawa originally but I've lived here mostly since 1994. They changed locations at one point and that store ended up being close to where I live. It was always a very friendly place to go. They said they would price match as well. They tried hard.

I remember when they had almost no ukes at all. I bought my first Mahalo uke elsewhere in 2006. I don't remember them having much at that time. I always liked perusing their sheet music section where originally, a couple of ukes were hanging above like low hanging fruit. They eventually created their own uke section many, many years later. They were the first store in town to sell Martin uke strings. I support local as much as I can.

Yes, the music school has a sign up in the window there now "same teachers with a new name."

Seeing such stores closing down saddens me like my former sheet music stores.

Petey

Top Bottom