Uas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassie

Reaction score
How many of you have UAS? I have what might be called Pre UAS. Since I have no cash, I have no choice but to wait until Christmas. I wish it wasn't so far off. It may not be but it sure feels like it. My real question is how to fight off the Pre UAS until Christmas without Going crazy.-g. Get it? Anyway, I call it pre Uas because I haven't got one yet.

The best way to fight UAS is to sit down and play what you have. Get off the internet and make some music. I find if I stay on the forums too long I will start wanting the latest flavor of the month...

If it keeps bugging me, I'll have to bring out my old Casio. I find that just listening to ukes helps to ease it some. Trust me, I have a load of uke songs on my MP3 player.

Last edited:
I call it pre Uas because I haven't got one yet.

The best way to fight UAS is to sit down and play what you have.
That's difficult since Cassie doesn't have one yet. :( Over at Indestructables.Com are easy plans for (among other things) building 'uke-like objects for really minimal cost. Such might tide over someone seriously suffering from unreliazable UAS. How about a one-piece 'uke that costs almost nothing? Or a cardboard 'uke? (One of many.) See, one need not wait till XMas.

Last edited:
This sounds cool but I don't have a saw, drill or glue. My granny on my dad's side of the family used to have one and I asked my dad about it and he says he hasn't seen it for quite some time. Granny didn't play but I think my uncle did. My dad said he would look for it when the weather got cooler. It's just way too hot right now. He thinks it might be in Granny's old storage building. A fellow member of the forum, Erion has infected me. I listened to him play his brunswich and that made me want to learn to play. Ukes are totally awesome! What did you mean by unreliazable ?

Last edited:
This sounds cool but I don't have a saw, drill or glue.
That cardboard 'uke looks to require only a sharp knife, a ruler, glue for the cardboard, and a set of 'uke strings. Some folks use fishing line for strings. Here is a 'uke made with a pocket knife and a file to sharpen the knife's saw blade. (He specifies the fishing line to use.) Some other simple projects are called 'ukes but IMHO they're rather stretching the term.

Ukes are totally awesome! What did you mean by unreliazable ?
I should have said "currently unrealizable." It's a craving that cannot be realized RIGHT NOW or otherwise soon. Like, I seriously crave a charango and balalaika and Venezuelan cuatro and strumstick dulcimer, and multi-neck 'ukes and 'banjo-ukes, etc. But my SAS (stuff acquisition syndorme) must go unsatiated right now. Yeah, I can clear out my minimal shop and build dulcimers, banjo-thangs, a ham-can balalaika, stuff like that. But I must wait awhile for the charango and cuatro. My SAS is currently unrealizable. [/me whines pathetically]

My UAS used to flare up when I spent too much time on the forum here, especially browsing the Marketplace. Then again, without the UU forum, I'd probably not have stayed with the hobby, either, so it's just a tradeoff. :)

After I eventually got a luthier built-custom ukulele (not by my specifications, it was already built when I fell in love with it), my UAS was satisfied. It's been about two months with it now and I'm still not lusting after anything else. I had hoped this would happen, and I'm glad it did (so far!). I also find this rather expensive instrument a little intimidating (worried about scratching it, worried about climate changes; just a lot of babying), which is good in a way.

There's really nothing better than that tenor that I would want to buy (I'm in this peculiar midlife-crisis-ish "the less clutter, the better" phase of my life), and I also have two sopranos (one vintage, one modern) and an off-the-shelf concert that has too high action but that I still play a little. Oh, and I have my previous tenor as well, which was in the $300 region, and it's very playable, too.

So, really, I already have more ukuleles than I actually want, but I currently find it hard to let any of them go. They are sufficiently different from each other, too, so the excuse I make to myself is that it's good for my ukulele education to have different types made from different woods and strung with different strings. But I'm not inclined to add any more, at least not for a while. Ideally, I would only like to have two, but I'm not there yet.

I still only cautiously look at the Marketplace, though!

I don't have UAS, it's like I have UAS, I mean I buy ukes on impulse that I don't really need, but I don't really have UAS.

I don't mean to get personal because I don't know your age or your life condition. If you have a burning desire for a ukulele but don't have the money are you able to find a job to be able to eventualy buy one. There is nothing like having a dream that must be fullfiiled, it is what fuels us all to reach and stretch and achieve things we never thought possible.

I can feel your love for the sound of ukulele, your passion to play one, now turn that into reality. Is there something holding you back from being able to do that? People here might be able to help.

I could have UAS or MAS (Mandolin Aquisiton Syndrome). I'm a total bargin hunter though so it's very controlled, to looking on Ebay, and checking out charity shops. Funilly enough I went in a charity shop a few days ago and saw professional looking Tamborines on sale. You never know what they have in stock!

I'm not sure about the job. I want to pass on old traditional kids songs to today's kids but I can't carry my Casio around. I thought of taking my Casio keyboard to day care centers and singing songs for the little children but it's so big and requires electricity. That's one of the reasons why Pele has started me wanting a ukulele. You were right about the burning desire. It's like Pele is starting a fire that keeps blazing and nothing can put it out. Please notice that I'm not a worshiper of Pele but It's the best way I can describe it. Then Erion, a fellow blind member of this forum, built that fire up even higher by playing his uke while we were chatting on Skype. Listening to ukes seems to douse it some though.

I would have to echo the advice on looking if there is any job or part time work that you can do. I don't know your situation so this may not be possible, but even something you can do around the neighborhood might work. I cut lawns as a kid and saved up to buy a portable transistor radio, (that pretty much ages me), but I did learn a life lesson that if I wanted something I needed to work and save up for it.

John

Like I've said, I've thought of performing using my Casio for kids and the elderly but mom keeps telling me I need credentials. I've heard you don't need them if you just volenteer.

Cassie,

If you will contact me as a private message, I will send you a ukulele. I was given a $1200 French Bulldog by its owner. When a friend saw it , she started to cry. What I had was the very dog she had always dreamed of having. I joyfully gave it to her. I was given a ukulele with the instructions to either keep it, or rehome it to whoever should be its real owner. The young lady who got it was grinning from ear to ear !

I am able to make your request for a ukulele possible. I will even pay the shipping of it to you. There is only one request goes with it.... sometime in your life, you will find someone with a need that you can provide. according to your ability, consider paying your " indebtedness' forward to someone else. That you have a desire to 'minister' to children touches my heart.

Grace and Peace,
Bill Thompson dba The Crafted Cow

Last edited:
Cassie,

If you will contact me as a private message, I will send you a ukulele. I was given a $1200 French Bulldog by its owner. When a friend saw it , she started to cry. What I had was the very dog she had always dreamed of having. I joyfully gave it to her. I was given a ukulele with the instructions to either keep it, or rehome it to whoever should be its real owner. The young lady who got it was grinning from ear to ear !

I am able to make your request for a ukulele possible. I will even pay the shipping of it to you. There is only one request goes with it.... sometime in your life, you will find someone with a need that you can provide. according to your ability, consider paying your " indebtedness' forward to someone else. That you have a desire to 'minister' to children touches my heart.

Grace and Peace,
Bill Thompson dba The Crafted Cow

Bill your gesture just made my day, thank you for being who you are.

Cassie.......now you know why the ukulele spoke to you, to bring good people into your life.

Excuse me as I seem to have something in my eyes that are making them water.

I would love to have it but my mom is very overprotective. If she saw some sort of package in the mail that is not from someone we know, I could get in trouble. I really want one but I don't want to set her short temper off. I do want to pass old traditional kids songs on to other kids but I can't always carry that big Casio Keyboard around. That's one of the main reasons why I want a uke.

No offense intended here Cassie but this thread reads weird to me. How is it your mum lets you come on an anonymous internet chat site but not accept the generosity of those of us who simply wanted to send you a uke to help you realise your passion? I don't understand. Perhaps if you show her this discussion she might have a change of heart. You might also let her know you can purchase a uke for around 30 bucks that will sound fine, provided it's been set up OK. All the best.

I don't have UAS, it's like I have UAS, I mean I buy ukes on impulse that I don't really need, but I don't really have UAS.

Can you spell D-E-N-I-A-L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom