Tenor Aquila 88U With Low G String Question

tracedef

Reaction score
Hiya. I've been playing the Aquila 88Us with an unwound low G for Tenor for a few years now .... the whole point of the set is that they come with an unwound LOW G .... Just got a set with correct sku number, correct branding of 88U, but it has a WOUND low G ...... Noooooooooooo! Has anyone else seen this or know if Aquila is doing away with the unwound low G??? Thanks in advance!

Also noticed the rest of the strings were a little of an off red from the other 88u's I have here and they even seemed to be slightly different diameters .... so it looks like I've either gotten a fluke / bad set or they are making changes to the set .... The wound Low G is red as well .... very odd, but leaning towards the set changing ... have pinged the Strings and Beyond to see if they can reach out to Aquila to see what is up ... :)

hello,
yes we done this change because with a unwound string and the upper red series strings the response was unbalanced. In pratise the first three are too brigth than the 4 th unwound. with a red wound strings things are much more better. the single packaged unwound strings are available in the market,
I wonder if our distributors had time to inform all people about these changes
Ciao
Mimmo Aquilastrings Italy

hello,
yes we done this change because with a unwound string and the upper red series strings the response was unbalanced. In pratise the first three are too brigth than the 4 th unwound. with a red wound strings things are much more better. the single packaged unwound strings are available in the market,
I wonder if our distributors had time to inform all people about these changes
Ciao
Mimmo Aquilastrings Italy

Pity they did this. I liked the reds mainly for the look (rather than the sound) on certain instruments. The sound was satisfactory. If the unwound low-G is history, so is my further purchase of reds.

The unwound low-G (at 1.05mm) was a lot larger diameter than the wound low-G (approx .66mm), and many folk probably snapped the unwound string by failing to resize the nut slot before installing the string. That may have been more the reason for the change than the sound.

It would seem that the unwound low-G set would still stay in the inventory, as there is a market for it. Is the only alternative ti buy a single string unwound low-G, and will it still be sold?

I am a fan of Aquila strings. I've been playing almost two years now. My Lanikai spruce top tenor came equipped with Aquila strings and I could not have imagined any better. I decided to try low-G tuning and naturally wanted to stick with Aquila, but not a wound low-G. I got the unwound red series low-G to go with a set of the red strings. I installed very carefully but sure enough after a few weeks the E string snapped while the uke was sitting on the table. However, the greater drawback to me was the texture of the red series. When strumming, my fingernail made a noticeable "rasping" sound on these strings which was irritating and distracting. My solution was to get a Worth brown unwound low-G and combine it with the other strings in standard Aquila Nylgut. This combination has been ideal for me. Mellow sounding, plenty of volume and sustain, no raspy side effects, durable and very playable. Aquila nylguts are still great, but Worth has them beat on the tenor unwound low-G string.

Top Bottom