PDA

View Full Version : Home Recording and the Ukulele

martinfan
08-28-2015, 03:00 AM
I have the kind of voice that if you heard me do a solo in a bluegrass jam on "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" you would not remember me afterwards. I can pretty much hit the notes, but that is it.

I am a young WWII vet baby. My father had me much later in life, and as you could imagine, I did not have him when I entered young adulthood and had children of my own. It is an acute loss in life. I have so many questions for him.

In this vein, I consider that I am now a young grandfather and I have passed on my love of music, as a hobby, to my kids and now they are asking to help with their kids.

Home recording is not only a lot of fun, but leaving recorded songs for my kids and grandkids is something really special. Just yesterday, in the car, I played a couple of songs I poorly recorded with my two youngest (now teens) when they were just 3 and 5 years old! They loved it!

I use a Tascam (I upgraded from the Tascam DP 004 to the 008ex) and have now added ukulele to these funny, silly and most amateurish songs. Adding in the ukulele has given it a really nice filling sound, but I intend to do some soloing on it, including some light-touch leads on the Pono. It makes for a rich, and different sound.

"Polly Wolly Doodle" type songs. So far, I have:

1. Acoustic Guitar and vocals
2. Ukulele
3. Merlin (I used to have a 6 string banjo but I did not like it and am looking to replace this sound with uk-bass)
4. Acoustic Bass
5. Some lead on the acoustic, including slide (very rough)
6. Harmonica
7. Percussion including shakers, wood block, triangle, tambourine, bongos, played by kids)
8. Flute (wife) on Christmas songs

It is a lot of fun and knowing it is not for the general public (they would not appreciate it), I think the fun comes across the recordings. I also think it is something very special to leave to your kids and grandkids, especially if you are, like me, not talented, but just one who is a ham and egger who loves music.

Anyone else do this? I don't use all instruments for all songs and am open to suggestions on adding different sounds (percussion) and hope to land a banjolele and a uku-bass as my bass is not very good. (I also need to take some 101 bass guitar lessons!)

I would enjoy hearing what others do. Thus far, listening to the tab/recordings of ukulele solos is really nice, and helps me better learn the song.

Anyone else doing track by track recording?

The Tascams are, in basic use, as easy as those old multi-track cassette recorders from yesteryear and the internal mics are very strong in picking up sound.

It sounds like one is attending a 'living room concert' that has become popular here in Maine, sans the talent, skill, ability to keep the beat, and so on! :)

MickeyD
08-28-2015, 03:48 AM
That is fantastic! Since I've left the band I was in I record all manner of malarkey for the listening pleasure of me and only me. Or maybe an occasional friend. Either way I do agree with you in that you can have so much fun with things when you aren't worried that you've nailed the tempo, that every note is fretted perfectly, ect ect concerning making recordings for the public. On the other side of the coin I do like trying to record polished songs. Anyways you're not alone!

pbagley
08-28-2015, 03:55 AM
I've not done much track by track recording on my multi-track recorders, but it has always been one of my intended purposes for these devices. I've had a Tascam 424 since the mid '90s when the discounted price was $500. I like the 4 track simultaneous recording ability for recording the band live. I take two condenser microphones (one on each side of the stage), and two line feeds from the PA (one just dry vocals and one FOH) and then mix to taste. This method has produces some very nice sounding recordings over the years. Of course cassette has it limits, and digital does have a wider range. I have a little 8 track recorder (2 at a time) in the basement I bought last spring and no recordings to date. Another brick in the road to hell? Last night my wife and I spent some time with a little 2 track pocket recorder and captured a rough draft of an original song I thought up last weekend. Just ukulele and violin, and we spaced ourselves from the recorder's mics to get a decent balance on the recording. These things do amazingly well, especially considering it is a $50 product (also Tascam).

One of the biggest problems I have is me. I can never record a part perfect enough. After around 10 tries I tend abandon the project, and this is why the 8 track has no recordings to date. I know, one has to just push on, record all the parts, then perhaps replace a track with a second take or punch in to fix the mistakes. It takes a lot of dedication and discipline to complete a project.

Mr. Martinfan, are you planning to share any of your recordings with us?

kohanmike
08-28-2015, 07:13 AM
I can never record a part perfect enough. After around 10 tries I tend to abandon the project...

I recently participated in a collaboration recording as a tribute for Jillian Johnson, the uke player of the Luisiana band The Figs who was killed in the movie theatre a few weeks ago. It was my first time recording a bass uke part and it took maybe 20 hours of try-try-again until I first realized I have to simplify my arrangement, and then get a good one. So what I've learned is I have to keep going, don't give up. In fact, I'm now a step better than I was just from that experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGI2VX-qNvA

martinfan
08-28-2015, 08:05 AM
I will share a mix. I don't have kohanmike's voice! (You sing well, and the song sounds like you have fun doing it!).

pbagley, I share your pain in getting it just right. I don't have good natural talent. I once played at a blue grass jam and plopped my business Zoom h1 in front of me, so it picked up me over the others. It was a Sunday afternoon informal where anyone could just show up and play. The group was, perhaps 12 to 15...guitars, ukulele, mandolin, stand up bass, and the restaurant audience singing along to "You get a line, and I'll get a pole, honey..."

They asked me to just do a song, so I did "My Creole Belle" and it was a blast. My tempo was off and after doing DVD lessons from homespun, I sent the unmixed mp3 to Happy Traum who advised me not to quit my day job!

Yet on it is my then 7 year old daughter playing ukulele and singing "Country Roads" (J Denver) way off key and the audience gave her the warmest applause as we had such fun.

So, my goal is "living room" concert and fun stuff for family.

The Seagull Merlin is a lot of fun for my wife and it filled in for the banjo sound, but I have to either get a 6 string banjo, or a banjoele to have that marvelous "back porch" sound.

I am only using the internal mics, though I should consider, when I have money, getting a condenser mic especially since the Tascam comes with phantom power.

I bought the Pono ATD 2 specifically because I knew I would be hooked and did not want to buy entry level, sell it on eBay and then get a nice wood one, but went right for it. I feel the same about the banjoele, or 6 string...to buy once.

At my level: finger style guitar, and brand new to ukulele, would you think I should just try to land a 6 string banjo, or the banjolele, itself?

I do need the larger for my hands, so with Magicfluke's, it would have to be the more expensive one. The $189 model is likely a bit too small for me. The tenor size ukulele is about as small as I can handle!

I am open to other recommendations as well. I prefer the banjo-ukulele at Tenor size...this would be my preference for comfort.

Also, thanks to kohanmike for sharing the video. Cross that Bridge is nice.

martinfan
09-02-2015, 08:54 AM
I did "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" with the Em, B7, Am chords on the ukulele---

It is rough. I over modulated to start, as I need to practice on the Tascam. You can hear traffic, fan, puppy, and even a cell phone in the background, but I had some fun today.
I will eventually get a condenser mic, and with cold weather coming, the windows will be shut and quiet will permit me to learn to better record, and use all of the marvelous features that the Tascam offers. https://soundcloud.com/phyatt1962/maryweepwav

The ukulele was on track 7 and just a basic strum.

kohanmike
09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
I will share a mix. I don't have kohanmike's voice! (You sing well, and the song sounds like you have fun doing it!). Also, thanks to kohanmike for sharing the video. Cross that Bridge is nice.

Oops, that's not me singing, I did the bass part only. I have a terrible voice.

Booli
09-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I will share a mix. I don't have kohanmike's voice! (You sing well, and the song sounds like you have fun doing it!).

Oops, that's not me singing, I did the bass part only. I have a terrible voice.

FYI: That is fellow UU brother 'Hippie Dribble' (aka Jon Duncan) from Australia on the main vocal.

I agree that he (Jon) is both an accomplished singer and a masterful player, and he is also one of my heroes here on UU. :)

martinfan
09-03-2015, 07:04 AM
I recognize my singing as what it is, and have no pretense on anything else, but for my kids and grandkids, I can 'hear it' from their perspective: I wish I had my own dad recording things because:
1. It is something to remember him by. He is gone and there are so many things I wish I could ask him.
2. It was fun, and the fun comes through
3. it would remind me that there is more to life than fretting over bills, trouble in school, mortgage, health, and all else that weighs us down in life

Please don't think I minimize excellence. Last night, with headphones, I listened to the London Philharmonic Orchestra's version of "Swan Lake" and felt tears gentle well up in my eyes.

Yesterday's recording was a "one off" and I will re-do it after the heat breaks so that there is no outside noise. I will listen to the takes, to correct over-modulation. I will correct errors and have the lyrics before me (I missed a lyric due to simple nervousness of being recorded) and will prepare a better guitar solo and eventually get a banjolele to make that country sound so much nicer.

It was a fun hour, in the middle of an unusually hot day, where I took a break from my work, grabbed the guitar, and hit "record" with little preparation or care.

I do care about the music and even with my limitations, I will put more care into its production and enjoy the accolades of my grandson's eyes widening as he says,"That's grandpa! That's my grandpa!"

I see that a new, modern phenomena is something very exciting: ham and eggers like me can record a song and email it to someone with, for example, vocal talent, who can add the vocals, and then he can send it to someone who does wonderful lead ukulele, and he or she can add in the ukulele lead, and email it to someone to add keyboards, and so on.

The joint projects, strictly something of our generation's electronic capability, is a lot of fun and can actually produce some pretty special things.

Has Ukulele Underground undertaken such a production?

Booli
09-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I recognize my singing as what it is, and have no pretense on anything else, but for my kids and grandkids, I can 'hear it' from their perspective: I wish I had my own dad recording things because:
1. It is something to remember him by. He is gone and there are so many things I wish I could ask him.
3. it would remind me that there is more to life than fretting over bills, trouble in school, mortgage, health, and all else that weighs us down in life

Please don't think I minimize excellence. Last night, with headphones, I listened to the London Philharmonic Orchestra's version of "Swan Lake" and felt tears gentle well up in my eyes.

Yesterday's recording was a "one off" and I will re-do it after the heat breaks so that there is no outside noise. I will listen to the takes, to correct over-modulation. I will correct errors and have the lyrics before me (I missed a lyric due to simple nervousness of being recorded) and will prepare a better guitar solo and eventually get a banjolele to make that country sound so much nicer.

It was a fun hour, in the middle of an unusually hot day, where I took a break from my work, grabbed the guitar, and hit "record" with little preparation or care.

I do care about the music and even with my limitations, I will put more care into its production and enjoy the accolades of my grandson's eyes widening as he says,"That's grandpa! That's my grandpa!"

I see that a new, modern phenomena is something very exciting: ham and eggers like me can record a song and email it to someone with, for example, vocal talent, who can add the vocals, and then he can send it to someone who does wonderful lead ukulele, and he or she can add in the ukulele lead, and email it to someone to add keyboards, and so on.

The joint projects, strictly something of our generation's electronic capability, is a lot of fun and can actually produce some pretty special things.

Good for you. Just dont stop and dont get bogged down in the details. Keep making the recordings and all the rest will come along.

Yes, collabs are being done ALL the time here on UU, one such place can be seen in this thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?86811-Seasonistas-jamming-with-Seasonistas

Also, you might want to investigate getting and using a Dropbox account and/or a Soundcloud account if you intend to collaborate with other folks. Additionally, MANY folks here collaborate on videos too, and for that you will need a YouTube account.

All of these 'ACCOUNTS" are necessary to both SHARE your work with your collaborators, as well as if you intend to share with a wider audience. The only other way around it is either via emailing back-and-forth dozens of times, or if you happen to run your own FTP server or OwnCloud server...

Anyway - Good luck and keep the music going :music:

Debby
09-03-2015, 07:28 AM

Yes. Head over to the Seasons of the Ukulele area. Folks do this sort of collaborating all the time. Here is this week's season. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?109938-Season-185-The-Family-Act
If you go to post 113, you will see a collaboration that Joo and I did.

I hope you feel inspired to participate. We have a weekly theme and it's a lot of fun. You don't have to collaborate (I was just giving you an example), you can make your own vids. The sky is the limit.

Debby
09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Oops sorry Booli. I didn't see your post until I posted mine.

Booli
09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Oops sorry Booli. I didn't see your post until I posted mine.

No worries at all. Happens some times - 'Great Minds Think Alike'

Glad to see that you and Joo did a song together - I'm going to watch it later when I get time - and thanks for sharing it with us here :)