Low G string

Inhigo

Reaction score
Hello!

I have to change the strigns of my soprano uke,and I'm thinking of using a Low G string,but I dont have any,so i though about using the 4th string fo the guitar in the ukulele.Would it have a negative effect on my uke?Is it possible?

thanks!

If you are talking about an unwound nylon string of approx 1.00mm (.039-040 inches) or a wound string of approx .65mm (.025-026 inches), then fine. If an unwound string, odds are the nut slot is not wide enough to handle the unwound string. That means the not slot needs to be resized or the string will pinch/gouge and then snap either while tuning or at a very inopportune time.

If you are talking about a steel string - no way! That uke is not built to take the tension level required fir steel strings.

I had a similar issue with a tenor. I thought to use a heavy string salvaged from an old bari but it didn't suit and no WAY was I going to use a steel string and destroy my costliest 'uke. So I bought an Aquila Gold low-G for US$2.70+tax at the local. Sometimes it's best to use what's right.

I recommend Fremont soloist Low G string. go on to Ukulelesite.com its like $3 I believe enough for two ukuleles.

Top Bottom