Non-electric foot percussion self accompniament?

bunnyf

Reaction score
Any one here try any manual foot pedal percussion to add to their uke? I've tried the finger shot and rythym ring but they are so quiet as to be negligible (and imprecise). I've seen some nice pedals used by pros (pricey) like Ben Harper but am wondering if anybody with experience has some recommendations. I'd like to add a little rythym that's noticeable but not overpowering. Thoughts?

Search for stomp box, lots of options. Kopf Percussion in Georgia makes one, I've seen a variety including do it yourself versions? Haven't tried any myself, though.

Hey, bunnyf, our minds seem to run on the same track. A long time ago I saw a guy (I don't even remember what they played) who had a side drum (like a marching band drum) with a foot pedal attached to it. As they played, he kept time with it. I've never forgotten it, and lately I've been thinking it would be neat to make one.

However . . . I live in a condo and don't think the neighbors would dig it. Anyhow, it's a nice memory. :eek:ld:

A long time ago I saw a guy (I don't even remember what they played) who had a side drum (like a marching band drum) with a foot pedal attached to it. As they played, he kept time with it. I've never forgotten it, and lately I've been thinking it would be neat to make one.
Soon as I saw the thread title I thought of "Lone Cat" Jesse Fuller, author of SAN FRANCISCO BAY BLUES and YOU'RE NO GOOD (first song on first Dylan album) and his One Man Band act. He sat on a stool singing and playing his 12-string guitar, a rack around his neck holding harp and kazoo, one foot working the pedal for the side drum and snare, the other foot playing bass-lines on his 'fotdella', a cabinet with piano strings and pedal hammers. THAT is showmanship!

Here is a video of my "Cajon" with bass drum foot pedal. You can get a cajon for a little over $100. Bass drum foot pedals can be fairly expensive but I found a very nice used one for $10 at a local Guitar Center.

Another option is to find or make a flat board equipped with a transducer where you can keep the beat with your feet while playing. You would need an amplifier for that however.

Last edited:
I once saw some guys down South who would throw a piece of plywood on the ground and then do a kind of shuffling, stomping dance on it.

I suppose there's all kinds of ways to keep the beat. Folks could even put a small board on their rug and tap with that.

Other percussion options:

* knee/ankle cymbals (ex finger cymbals)
* banjo head = tambourine with jingles
* maracas attached to 'uke body
* electronic percussion pad on body
* rasper notches along 'uke neck
* thimbles on ring+little fingers to tap body
* dangly jangly earrings for head-shaking

I won't mention the nose flute and flatulence horn. ;)

A small drum set using just the kick and high hat:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Labs/Lil-Kicker-3-Piece-Jr-Drum-Set-with-Throne.gc

DrumSet.JPG

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna have to do some research on the options mentioned, except for the shuffling dance on plywood, while trying to sing and play...dont think that's happening...folks wouldn't be able to hear over all the laughter. I'm thinking I want something small, portable and easy to control. No big drum setup.

The guy that runs one of the groups I play with has a snare mounted on it's side with a foot pedal and a small high hat cymbal with a tambourine thing on top connected to another pedal. It really adds to our sessions and he can control the tempo of the group.

I have tried unsuccessfully to attach the utube video but it's easy to find. Check out John Hartford, he wrote Gentle on my Mind and there is a utube video of him playing it on the banjo while singing and tap dancing on a mic'd piece of plywood.

The guy has some serious talent !

I have tried unsuccessfully to attach the utube video but it's easy to find. Check out John Hartford, he wrote Gentle on my Mind and there is a utube video of him playing it on the banjo while singing and tap dancing on a mic'd piece of plywood.

The guy has some serious talent !
Think I found it. Him playing at a festival. Looks like he's using something like a Farmers foot pedal, but I can't see too clearly.

I've seen a couple of people put a tambourine on the floor and tap it with a foot as they play.

.... However . . . I live in a condo and don't think the neighbors would dig it. Anyhow, it's a nice memory. :eek:ld:

Hey thumper! Forget the expense for the drum, and just move a bass drum pedal up to the common sheet rock wall. Great sound, and a quick get away. Hang a mirror on that wall and take great performance selfies, too!

You could also try a foot tambourine (as demonstrated in the video I'm linking to, just forget the cajon). To be honest I have one, and I find it really hard to do, as it is physically attach to you foot, you have to keep that still when you don't want sound.
https://youtu.be/2JxIWjLaSMY

Top Bottom