"Sailor" 60's hit song by Lolita, Petula Clark

turtledrum

Reaction score
Yesterday in an incredible mystical moment I remembered the song "Sailor." The German version was a major hit for Lolita in 1960. Petula Clark took it to the top of the British charts about a year later, and later had success with a French version. Www.YouTube.com has all the recordings. Lyrics are available online for the different versions. The song was a hit in many countries.

The uke chords are easy:

C. F. C. G7. (Repeat)

F. C. G7. C. (Repeat)

Finding this song returned me to my BELOVED grandmother who sang it in German when I was a little girl. I've been playing and singing it (English) nonstop ever since.

Anyone remember it?

Last edited:
I do, but I only use the german version - when sailing one should know at least a few "seasongs".... ;)

I do, but I only use the german version - when sailing one should know at least a few "seasongs".... ;)

I couldn't agree more! I'll be visiting Munchen In the spring and may see if I can learn the German version before then to sing with my aunt. I, too, am a sailor and love those sailing songs!

I remember Petula, but not that song! In '61 I was a freshman in high school. I should have heard that song any number of times. I wonder why I don't remember it?

Top Bottom