Which are your top two?

SteveZ

Reaction score
For those folk with multiple instruments, do you find yourself reaching more often to one or two of them while the rest get minimal time? It seems to be happening to me more often than I realized until my spouse asked me why I play a couple a lot more than the others. Had to think about it a while as to why. Anyway, here are my top-two time players and why.

1. Lanikai 6-string tenor - I just like the sound. Got it from another UUer. Have it tuned C4-G3-G4-D4-A4-A3 and it's bright and responsive. Also installed a preamp/pickup/tuner (fully chromatic) on it. Had a C3 string on it for a while, but it was too deep compared to the C4 normally on a tenor. I set it up to my feel and it is so smooth to the touch.

2. SideKick BanjoUke tenor - It's just the most convenient of all the banjo-type instruments I have or had. At only 24 ounces it's handy and easy to take anywhere. I still love my Deerings, but even though they sound spectacular, they are a lot heavier and are not spur-of-the-moment centric for me. With the SideKick tuned CGDA (just like the tenor banjo) it fits in well for all banjo numbers and easy to pick and-play when the mood hits. It also received a personal set-up.

The others in the stable are still used, but have become specialty-purpose instruments rather than "buddies" with which to kill spare time and relax when the moment occurs, or when I hear a tune and then want to immediately try to pick it out.

There have been a lot of instruments over time which have been stable-mates, some being in the higher-priced "better quality" category according to some critics. The irony is that neither the Lanikai nor the SideKick can be considered as budget-busters by any stretch of the imagination. Just goes to show that instrument cost doesn't factor high in which gets first nod.

I don't think I could narrow it down like that with the collection I have right now. It really depends on my mood. Do I want to play linear or re-entrant, a Soprano or a tenor, a 4 string or a multi-course instrument?
My new commissions are just going to give me more choice on any given day.

Steve, that is a tough question. I tend to cycle through my ukes, playing different ones more often over time, depending on what music I'm playing or learning. But, that being said, lately I find myself most often reaching for my koa Moore Bettah tenor (c tuning linear) & Grimes maple tenor (b tuning linear). I'm still squeezing in some time with my Compass Rose, Beau Hannam, Pegasus, and Makapili today.

Last edited:
That is a great question and much like Hodge it really depends on the music I am playing. But if I could only keep two I would pick my LfdM strung low G and my Mya Moe strung high G. That way I have both tuning covered. I just recently added a wound 3rd string to the Mya Moe and what a huge difference.

One characteristic about the Mya Moe is lack of big sustain and quick note decay. The wound third solves that and makes a really good re-entrant great. Plugged in the Mya Moe is a superstar.

If I was not interested in keeping a re-entrant I would pick my Webber tenor: spruce/cocobolo low G as number two.

This thread screams out for pictures. My two candidates. ........and back up :p

20150830_114115.jpg20150830_113903.jpg20150830_114308.jpg

Last edited:
My two would be my Martin OXK and my KoAloha Opio.

I am fond of the others and they fill special niches such as the plastic ukes for car/truck/boat/RV's.

But, I would truly miss those two. Playing them is like having a conversation with an old friend. Comfortable, yet they push me out of complacency and shallowness and make me strive to do better.

I make it a point to play them all in a sitting. If one gets hauled out, they all do........for at least a song or two. I really enjoy listening to the tonal variety and the different feel of each one. If had to pick one for my favorite sound it would hands down be the Wurlitzer 2K - sweet and warm with great sustain. The Gibsons have great bark and presence, the Favilla a wonderful vintage voice with gut strings. The Oscar Schmidt is very mid-rangy with a quick decay and a huge, fat neck......feels terrific in the hand. The Kiwaya is sweet and almost piano-like, while the Collings (the only concert size) fairly roars. Love 'em all, play 'em all......no one gets ignored.

Wurlitzer 2K.jpg

Last edited:
1. Stuart Wailing soprano resonator, 2. 20's Harmony soprano.
i play an un-amped eleuke when everyone's off to their slumber chambers.

Sometimes when I get a new uke it will dominate playing time, but lately I've been spreading the love pretty evenly.

My go to #1 is a 1943 Martin Concert Aquila strings, #2 for a different Soprano sound I go to a modified (Redwood sound board rosewood & maple bridge & nut, and Kala Red strings) 1930s Regal.
In a couple of months I'll complete a double sided Bari & Bass for a 2 in 1 "It's alive" Frankenuke

Sometimes when I get a new uke it will dominate playing time, but lately I've been spreading the love pretty evenly.

You know what Eddie your answer is more accurate than mine. After reading the question over again it is " which ones do you play the most". I read it as the two best if you could only play two ukes.

My Pono cedar/macassar ebony gets a ton of play because it is my performance uke in the ensemble I play with. When I am learning a new song it will be on the Pono to keep things familiar.

Oh hell I love them all........I can't just pick two only.......this is cruel :wallbash:

Don't make me choose. Can't do it. I loves 'em, I do me preciouses.

I see the question as concerning favorites rather than exclusives. I certainly would not discard my other 'uke-like objects (especially the old Martin tiple) but what I reach for the most are my cheap solid-top Harmonia UK201 concert (tuned g-C-E-a) and my string-tweaked Kala KA6 tenor (tuned G-cC-E-Aa). The Harmonia is definitely Hawai'ian-sounding and the Kala is almost a Venezuelan cuatro. I expect to acquire more 'ukes in future (UAS, duh!) so those top-two will shift over time, as they did a couple days ago when I restrung the Kala and promoted it past the overpowering tiple (tuned gG-cCc-eEe-aa). Love forever changes.

Right now I guess I have a top four getting about equal play time. I play the solid body I built a lot unplugged, because I can try new things recklessly without it being too embarrassing. Once I work things out on that one I usually try them on the Fluke. My Ohana 8 string sits by "my spot" in the living room and gets a lot of play. I recently picked up my 50's Harmony Baritone and now that my playing has improved I think it sounds much better. Most of the others (and my guitars) aren't getting much play right now. However, my favorite lineup seems to be rather fluid. I probably average about 1.5 hours of play time per day.

My #1 uke is a Kanile'a Concert Premium. My other ukes are all a distant second, so I'll have to mull over which one might be #2.

That is a great question and much like Hodge it really depends on the music I am playing. But if I could only keep two I would pick my LfdM strung low G and my Mya Moe strung high G. That way I have both tuning covered. I just recently added a wound 3rd string to the Mya Moe and what a huge difference.

One characteristic about the Mya Moe is lack of big sustain and quick note decay. The wound third solves that and makes a really good re-entrant great. Plugged in the Mya Moe is a superstar.

If I was not interested in keeping a re-entrant I would pick my Webber tenor: spruce/cocobolo low G as number two.

This thread screams out for pictures. My two candidates. ........and back up :p

View attachment 82879View attachment 82878View attachment 82877
Dave, your mailbox is full, I can't send you a PM.

#1 is my Moore Bettah.
#2 is my flea.

Timely thread. I just decided to part with two of my four ukes because my focus is on my custom mango soprano and the tenor uke that I built for myself this summer. So, that makes it real easy to figure out which my top two ukes are!

It's not a static thing for me, and I don't really have many different ones. It'd be easy to pick the Barron River tenor, because it's definitely the one with the highest workmanship (by far) and it also cost the most. But, it's a mood thing for me. There are days when I only reach for my Chinese factory soprano, because it resonates best with me. The same is true for my three other ukes. So, can't really pick a favorite -- I enjoy them all, at different times. If I didn't, I'd sell or give away the extras.

Sorry, not a very clear-cut response. :)

#1 Compass Rose warm, rich tones
#2 a Uke I built in Rick Turners build class. Bright and punchy might switch to re-entrant tuning soon.

Top Bottom