Good Runout

Hluth

Reaction score
This concert has features that I thought might be appreciated here. It’s a design in which the same wood makes up the neck and sides. In this case, the walnut used for the side and neck has severe 90 degree runout, and it goes from straight grain into the runout, then into some pretty intense burl. The straight grain is perfect for the neck, and the burl sides match the back in a way that makes it appear that the side grain continues into the back all the way to the seam. Other features are the inside out purfling that also shows in the sound ports, and a new 2-piece bridge. The overall result is very stiff lightweight construction with unusual design features and some unique wood usage.

UU_Hac1014a.jpg UU_Hac1014b.jpg Hac1014c.jpg UU_HAC1014d.jpg UU_Hac1014e.jpg

Way cool!! Way to use the "flaw" in the timber to the best advantage.

'Splain more about the 2 piece bridge. Glued down, glued together? any part floating? Nice saddle sculpting too!

That looks great. I really love all of the innovations you bring into the design and construction of your instruments.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Wow! That burl back just bowls me over! The shapes on the instrument are beautiful! I love the way the top bevel reveals the purfling. Is the top thinner where it's beveled, or is the thickness of the top tapered to accommodate the bevel? I would really love to see it first hand.

Bob

I like it. Bet it sounds amazing.

Always clean and different. Such nice execution. One question: That finish really works. Is it oiled or a nitro satin or???.. Anyway I like it. Do tell.

This really is a great looking uke.

There's long been a discussion about what constitutes art and what constitutes craft. In my opinion your work shows you are not just a very skilled craftsman but also an artist.

You seem able to take some beautiful wood and then figure out a way to make it into an instrument where the end result is greater than the sum of the parts.

Amazing! It looks like the neck and sides are of one piece of wood.

That's what it is, right?
You started with a piece about twice as long as the neck would be, and cut out all but the very thin sides of the lower section, then bend them to shape?
That's sure what it looks like in addition to beautiful!
-Vinnie in Juneau

Top Bottom