Precision Tape

Hluth

Reaction score
I just started using precision masking tape for fret boards and bridges. This is the stuff used in auto body shops and is only .002" thick (standard tape is made much thicker for use with latex paint). It wraps around frets better to prevent sanding slurry from running under, and will sand level with the finish if used to mask the bridge area. Find it at auto body suppliers.

masking tape.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Good one. I can think of other uses for it too. Like masking off for those little touch-ups. Less of a ridge when done.

The autobody green tape I got had very strong adhesive and shredded any unfinished spruce upon removal. Other than that, it was great. Of course, I'm pretty sure you guys would know better than to put it on unfinished wood.

I bought some tape that dissolved lacquer - it was that green stuff. I use standard white/cream masking tape for fingerboards and parcel tape to mask the bridge and fretboard tongue on the soundboard... Every time I see suggestions I try them and then regret it. I have 11 rolls of that totally useless (for me that is) 'binding' tape sold by stewmac. It sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, has no give so cannot stretch and leaves behind a hideous residue. And yet others sing its virtues high and low. Discover what works for you and stick to it. My workshop manager showed a student today how to bind using rope - it's a traditional method that cannot be beat... it's not what you have it's how you use it!

If you want to mask off the bridge and not use a tape that can damage the finish, try using "Post it" labels ..Very low tack..I finish the Top first then mask off and scrape.....putting a piece of tape on the bridge footprint first before finishing dosn't seem like a good idea to me because of the lacquer or French polish build up around the edges.

Using brown parcel tape which is super thin works for me ken... As I use an epoxy filler, cutting back further reduces that meniscus.

I've been using this style tape for a few years now. It's low tack and waterproof so I don't have to retape after I wet sand. I do like the 3m tape a bit better than the carworx brand since it lays flat over frets better. I've not used it on fresh lacquer, but on many cured lacquer finishes without any issues. For taping off binding or anything with a curve, I'll use the 3m fine line tape then this tape. I'm using orange carworx now because it seems to go well with pumpkin ale!20150901_210558.jpg

Top Bottom