NUD - Maurise Dupont D Hole Tenor Uke

bborzell

Reaction score
I don't need a new Uke, but my wife and I are in Paris for a few more days before doing a loop through the south of France and back up through Belgium.

So we made our way to Dupont's showroom and I checked out an unbound mahogany D hole that happrned to be strung with a high G string.

There is something about a well made unbound uke that I really like. Not to say that binding offers an opportunity to make up for subtle earlier mistakes, but the fact is that joinery that doesn't fit together immaculately will look sad on an unbound uke.

Slot head with Ebony headstock plate. It looks and feels very warm to me. The sound is full and rich. While it sounds plenty loud to me, it seems to project very well to those out front of it. Though it was strung with a high G, I got a good sense of its tone and volume. So I bought it. The dealer is ordering one of those well protected Rockstar (or Rock sonething) bags which will be here when we circle back and revisit Paris for 5 more days. I'll then pick it up and bring it home.

Last edited:
Of course we will need pictures my friend.

Congratulations... would like to see pictures and hear sound samples when your holiday is over and you have time.

Congrats........pics............!

Indeed, we want to see photos! :) (I actually have no idea what a D hole is, so I'd like to see.)

The design comes from a guitar that's also called a gypsy jazz style by Selmer-Maccaferri, used by Django Reinhardt in the 1940s in France, on which he played the very indicative swing style with only three fingers on his fret hand. (In my signature is a D hole uke made for me in Vietnam. When I first looked for a builder, I emailed Maurise Dupont, but didn't hear back, so I went with Bruce Wei in Vietnam. A couple months later I finally received a reply from Maurise, but it was too late.)

Selmer-Maccaferri guitars.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike! I hadn't seen one of those before - interesting.

Congratulations! Would love to hear a sound sample. I have been curious about his ukes, as his Maccaferri style guitars are highly praised.

It gets complicated. We stopped by Dupont's showroom today so I could take a photo of the new uke that I had planned to pick up on the 16th prior to our return to the US. They showed me a new spruce/koa model that just came in. After playing it, I decided that the broader tonal range was more to my liking so I changed the order from the all mahogany to the spruce/koa. First photo is mahogany and second is spruce/koa.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm a little surprised he doesn't go with the pointed tip bridge design or a tailpiece, which is so specific to that style.

Dupont believes that the tailpiece does not translate well to the uke body; I agree.

I wanted mine to have the 'complete' look so I had the pointed bridge and tailpiece done, but to each his own.

Last edited:
I understand your dilemma, they both look nice! If they are anything like his guitars, you'll be getting a very special instrument.

Mike, while most of the original Selmer-Maccaferri guitars had indeed a pointed "Moustache" bridge and a tailpiece, the "Concert" model was made with a broad glued-on bridge very much like the one that Maurice Dupont uses on his ukes.

They're very pretty. I could get used to that design. I've always enjoyed listening to old Reinhardt/Grapelli recordings.

I'd be all over the spruce top koa back/sides model. Looks great.

Never mind the uke, just bring me back some of that delicious Belgian beer. Lefe Blond, please. (but would settle for some of their Dunkel). Anyway, it's a beautiful instrument. Enjoy!

They are listed as tenors, though I did not measure the precise scale length.

Top Bottom