FS or FT Mya Moe Master Grade Myrtle 6 String Tenor

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had posted this Uke a few weeks ago when I required some cash for an in-coming new 8 string. Those financial drivers are, fortunately, no longer relevant, so I decided to relist with broader options.

Also, a well respected friend suggested that I include comments on the properties of this particular Uke and why a person might want such a strange beast as a 6 string.

First, this Uke rings like a bell, has amazing sustain, good separation between notes, the legendary Mya Moe intonation all the way up the neck and when you play with a group playing various other Ukes, you are not drowned out but project a unique voice.

Aaron from the Ukulele Review described it well when he said; " the 6 string (has) a distinctly different voice than both the 8 and 4 string ukuleles. I have found this voicing to lend itself well to jamming with a guitar player due to the difference of the “sweet spot”. The “sweet spot” occurs when contrasting frequencies blend together to create a harmonically rich, but not cluttered sound. In conclusion, the 6.. string ukuleles definitely have their place in Hawaiian music. The full, rich tones work well with other instruments as well as for solo work."

Also please take note that I have not stated an asking price but instead said Best Reasonable Offer. Please take note of the current build cost (just shy of $2100) and let your fair minded good sense drive your judgement when making an offer.

I am also very willing to consider certain trades. As a heretic I am not interested in the K brands nor vintage Ukes. I would be interested in other Mya Moe Tenors/Super Sopranos (Cut-aways or Resophonics) or certain Boat Paddle models (M, ML, D, possibly A) or a John Kinnard. Happy to consider cash from or to me with a trade for one that interests me. Please consider the current cost of your trade and apply the same discount you used in your head to decide what my Mya Moe is worth.

The following is the original ad that I ran for those that did not see it:

This beautiful master grade Myrtle tenor was originally commissioned by Canadian Singer/Songwriter Shelly O'Brien. I purchased it from her about 2 years ago.

Here is the link to the Mya Moe Uke Tracker web page where you can see the details of the build:
https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=382
I have since replaced all the tuners (one was slipping and Gordon Mayer sent me a whole new set to ensure they all matched) and recently had the frets dressed and the instrument re-set up with Southcoast Strings. I had Worths on there before but the Southcoast strings has made an amazing instrument just incredible.

Here are a few links to YouTube videos of Shelley actually playing the uke:
This one is from an interview she did on a Dutch Radio Station. She starts playing about 2:32 in from the start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk2EbkpY6Sk
This one is about Shellys' background in Canada. This uke is featured in a song she sings towards the end of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUk3pWB-rQU

I'd rate the condition of the uke at at least 9.5/10
It comes with the OEM case, Passive Pick Up, an upgraded bone strap button, multiple sets and singles of Mya Moe (Worths), Southcoast and Alvarez strings, an Hydrometer and an Humidifier

Current build cost: Approx $US2100 - Current delivery wait time: Approx 24 months.
For Sale At: Best Reasonable Offer or Trade
382Shoulder.jpg382Back Small.jpgIMG_0555.jpgIMG_0558.jpgIMG_0569.jpg

Last edited:
A MM with the kick of six strings. As MM's are on the mellow side, the six should give it the punch that will really make it stand out when strummed and will fill out the sound when fingerpicked. Nice combination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom