Ukulele selling question

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hello there,

I haven't found that on forums yet, hope this will not be aginast any rules. See no reason why though.

I am considering putting my Pono MTDX on the marketplace here.
I have no idea what is a common method of the final deal? I can imagine the only way to recieve the payment first before sending the uke. Are there other ways around? Maybe the payment is done when recieving the parcel? I'd be selling it in Europe in Ko'olau hardshell case.

What are the possible scam methods that people may wanna use? The only reason I'd part with my lovely Pono is the fact I am in a need of money. Would be totaly insane for me to have none of that!

Thanks in advance,
Jerwin

Generally, it is like eBay or Amazon - payment is sent prior to the article shipping. PayPal is generally considered a safe method. As a seller, that's about all you can do. Make sure the payment is received and reliable. Scams are possible with any transaction. They aren't the norm but usual cautions apply.

But if you want to send me your uke, I will send you a voucher for $2000 from my Nigerian National Bank account. All you have to do is send me back $1000 and you can keep the other $1000. :p

I've only bought once on here in the marketplace, so take this as it comes...others who buy and sell here all the time may have a different opinion, and possibly it's better to wait for them to chime in before you form any conclusions....

From what I've seen is the standard, the buyer sends the agreed amount via Paypal in advance, and the seller ships the item(s) with tracking and insurance for full replacement of the sale price, with 'adult signature proof of delivery'.

Paypal protects both buyer and seller from scams, and if you ship as per above, both are also protected against loss, damage or stolen goods during shipment.

I myself would not buy from a seller who refused to ship as per above, with ALL of the above options selected. It's just too risky for me. However, YMMV. :shaka:

Generally, it is like eBay or Amazon - payment is sent prior to the article shipping. PayPal is generally considered a safe method. As a seller, that's about all you can do. Make sure the payment is received and reliable. Scams are possible with any transaction. They aren't the norm but usual cautions apply.

But if you want to send me your uke, I will send you a voucher for $2000 from my Nigerian National Bank account. All you have to do is send me back $1000 and you can keep the other $1000. :p
if you don't know who you are dealing with I'd use paypal. even money orders or casheiers checkes can be fake.
fyi, he is just kidding in the last part.

Last edited:
One common scam with PayPal involves the buyer offering to pick up the item (or have a "friend" or "relative" who "lives nearby") pick it up. If this happens, you have no proof that they got the item, and the buyer goes back to PayPal, says the item wasn't received, and the seller has to refund the money. So always ship the item with tracking and proof of delivery.

I've only bought once on here in the marketplace, so take this as it comes...others who buy and sell here all the time may have a different opinion, and possibly it's better to wait for them to chime in before you form any conclusions....

From what I've seen is the standard, the buyer sends the agreed amount via Paypal in advance, and the seller ships the item(s) with tracking and insurance for full replacement of the sale price, with 'adult signature proof of delivery'.

Paypal protects both buyer and seller from scams, and if you ship as per above, both are also protected against loss, damage or stolen goods during shipment.

I myself would not buy from a seller who refused to ship as per above, with ALL of the above options selected. It's just too risky for me. However, YMMV. :shaka:

This is good advice and the norm. The only thing I could add is in regard to shipping/postage. As the seller, when you quote a price for your Uke, you would usually say " plus shipping and insurance" because you don't know where you will be sending it to when you place the ad. I do notice that many Americans say "including postage in CONUS". I suspect that there isn't much variation in cost for shipping a Uke around the continental USA.

I have sold a few instruments here to people in the USA and Europe and what I do is safely package the Uke and bring it to the post office to get it weighted. When a deal is struck with a buyer I can go online and find out how much it will cost to get it to them. Some buyers want it as soon as possible with the least risk and are willing to pay a little extra for priority post. This gets a Uke to the USA in about 6-8 days with full tracking, signature on receipt and full insurance. I also take photos of the package at the post office and the receipt with the tracking number and send these photos to the buyer. I track the item and keep the buyer informed of its progress.
You don't want any surprises after you agree to sell and then find out you have to pay for a large part of the shipping cost out of your own pocket.

How do I "associate" my parcel to my paypal so I have proof it's been sent? If friend picks it up, what does it change anyway? I've been getting a lot of these offerings, I know it's a scam but I just do not get how it's done...

I would definately find out the price of shipping first. Althought it will not differ much since I can sell it only in Europe. It would make no sense to sell Pono to USA because, Americans can buy it waaaaaaaay cheaper in US cuz of the taxes and fee's.

How do I "associate" my parcel to my paypal so I have proof it's been sent? If friend picks it up, what does it change anyway? I've been getting a lot of these offerings, I know it's a scam but I just do not get how it's done...

I would definately find out the price of shipping first. Althought it will not differ much since I can sell it only in Europe. It would make no sense to sell Pono to USA because, Americans can buy it waaaaaaaay cheaper in US cuz of the taxes and fee's.

When you don't have PROOF of the item being shipped and received, the scam artists uses that angle to say to paypal it was never received. Paypal will then pull the money from your account because an action has been filed against you. This is why you don't let people pick it up from you.

To "associate" your package with paypal is the act of the other party receiving it and signing for it. Now proof of item received is concrete. Signing up for a paypal account is very easy as your email address is all that is needed.

When you don't have PROOF of the item being shipped and received, the scam artists uses that angle to say to paypal it was never received. Paypal will then pull the money from your account because an action has been filed against you. This is why you don't let people pick it up from you.

To "associate" your package with paypal is the act of the other party receiving it and signing for it. Now proof of item received is concrete. Signing up for a paypal account is very easy as your email address is all that is needed.

What exactly is the proof of the item being sent?

I'd appriciate some1 explaining that to some1 who has absolutely no idea about this.... I always just made payments. Usually minor stuff. The biggest one was to Ko'olau that I absolutely trust. Pleasure to deal with them.

I'd appriciate some1 explaining that to some1 who has absolutely no idea about this.... I always just made payments. Usually minor stuff. The biggest one was to Ko'olau that I absolutely trust. Pleasure to deal with them.

You can take pictures of the package and you have a copy of the postal document once it has been mailed. Use first class postal service which gives a tracking number and the documents that go with that. Those are legal documents that prove your item was shipped.

Once upon a time people actually used cash in hand.

If someone is able to pick it up, they are able to meet you at a bank, not your house, work etc., with the money.

The buyer can send funds to their "friend" as easily as they can send it to you.

John

the safest sale is too a longstanding UU member with a lot of posts. I have even shipped ukes before payment was received and never been burned, and if there was a problem it has always been satisfactorily resolved.

Ditto on strumsillys statement. Bought and sold from longstanding UU members and never burned. One even sent me out a UBASS before they received payment.

You can take pictures of the package and you have a copy of the postal document once it has been mailed. Use first class postal service which gives a tracking number and the documents that go with that. Those are legal documents that prove your item was shipped.

Whichever carrier you use to ship the item, when you as the seller BUY and pay for shipping, you request or select both INSURANCE and TRACKING NUMBER, with 'SIGNATURE PROOF' of delivery.

If/when you have the tracking number it shows that you have initiated a shipment, and when you share that with the buyer, AND also register that tracking number WITH the received payment in your Paypal account, you, as a seller in fact have proof of shipment.

As a BUYER, anything less than this I would suspect is a scam unless I knew the seller personally, OR from their good reputation here on UU, OR was advised in advance of some delay (due to vacation, illness etc.)

There are a few unspoken rules about being a good seller, which have all been brought to light in this thread by your fellow UU members.

I do not know how to explain it simpler than that. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
On this site, and probably on Craigslist and others, many sellers require Paypal payment in the form of a "gift." I do not believe that Paypal will cover any losses under these circumstances when it was not listed as payment for an item with Paypal seller's fees paid.

On this site, and probably on Craigslist and others, many sellers require Paypal payment in the form of a "gift." I do not believe that Paypal will cover any losses under these circumstances when it was not listed as payment for an item with Paypal seller's fees paid.
I have used paypal gift [friends and family] , but only with someone I know and/or trust. there is NO buyer protection. It is against paypal policy for a buyer to pay the fee. I have done everything including paying the fee [which you are not supposed to do} , and splitting it. I just consider it part of the purchase price. Ultimately , to me, I look at how much the final cost will be, including any taxes, shipping, fees, ins., etc. to determine final cost. I would never gift someone $ I didn't know somehow.

fyi, he is just kidding in the last part.

Yes, yes, of course that was a joke. My apologies if my American humor did not make the translation to Europe. That was just the most obvious cliched scam I could think of. Unfortunately there must still be people who fall for it or something similar or it wouldn't keep popping up.

Bought and sold a lot of ukes here with never an issue. But I would suggest PayPal as both a buyer and a seller

Top Bottom