NUOTW - new uke on the way

macfish

Reaction score
I've only been playing for a few months, a Pono MT. But when I found out about Scott Wise, something tripped. We visited friends in Margaret River in 2012, long before a uke was on my mind. But comments here and elsewhere prompted me to contact him and lo, an order was placed.
Will probably sell the Pono when the Wise arrives, in about 4 weeks. End of UAS for me. a single instrument I'll work for years to become worthy of. This uke will be passed down to my grandson some day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 92
Man I love this place...........Mr macfish here has been playin' for a couple months. Started on a Pono, very nice first uke, DO NOT sell it, never sell your first uke. Now he has ordered a custom. Good on ya mate. Seriously a big congratulations is in order. Scott Wise makes outstanding instruments, you are correct about keeping it for generations.

Please keep the pictures coming as they are forwarded to you, Everybody loves to see a build in progress.

Last edited:
Great choice! I'm the second owner of a Wise tenor that I purchased from Hodge...great uke! It seems to prefer slightly lower tuning to bring out its best but nothing wrong with that!
Congrats on a "Wise" choice!

Loving that wood. Can't wait to see it finished. Hell of a fine start to your uke playing career.

Looks like it is going to be a keeper for sure! If your grandson isn't interested in it in 40 years, my kids will happily inherit it! Ha! Keep us posted with the pics!

Probably no more photos until it arrives. Scott is furiously working to finish and bring some ukes to Hawaii on Sept 24 or so. Shipping from there will be cheaper. Sure hope mine is one of them, as he told me he is going to take a break from building for a few months, and it won't be until February that he resumes. NUD coming around the first of October! Fingers crossed.

Hello fellow Columbusite! Congrats on ordering a Wise uke! It looks like some stunning wood there, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I'm sure it is cheaper to ship from Hawaii. I have a Barron River uke (from the other side of Australia), and it wasn't cheap shipping. Don't have to worry about customs, either.

Coming down to the wire, needs fret work, bridge and setup. Scott pointed out the "birthmark" on the treble side of the soundboard not matching the rest of the grain. But I like the imperfection, adds interest/character. Pretty wild grain in the photos, will be interested to see how she looks in person (and how she SOUNDS)

Attachments

• Wise1.jpg
    Wise1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Wise2.jpg
    Wise2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 28
End of UAS for me. a single instrument I'll work for years to become worthy of.

I, too, thought that would happen for me when I bought a custom, and the conviction even lasted for about two months. Then I bought another ukulele! :eek:

In a strange way, getting an expensive, special instrument with "meaning" deepened my interest in the hobby, caused me to become (or rather: feel) more serious about it, more "into" it, which then led to the desire to experience more facets of it. For me, though, the open questions still mostly concern sizes and shapes, though, or at least that is how I justify that KoAloha pineapple longneck that should arrive on Monday. (I also feel it is sufficiently different to the tenor!) I do share the wish to end up with "the one" ukulele, but I'm not sure whether it's feasible. Two, though, might be do-able. (Or three.)

Your new baby is stunning! Definitely looking forward to seeing the photos of the finished instrument. I agree with you on the birthmark: that's a plus, adding to the uniqueness of the instrument.

Well, unless customs idiots had a problem with an ebony fretboard, Scott and uke should be in Hawaii, and hopefully shipping in the next few days. Waiting is worse the closer the uke is!

Now in Hawaii

Well, Scott and the uke are in Hawaii, I'm waiting for him to confirm shipping. He apparently is going to be there for awhile - keep an eye out for any sightings of him or his instruments! Curious if he's offering any workshops, etc. but see no mention of it on the interwebs.
Hopefully NUD coming soon!

Top Bottom