Oscar Schmidt Bass Uke Owners Speak Up

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anyone have or play the new O.S. bass uke? I really like the deluxe maple model. Wish I'd have bought the Hadean prototype, but I didn't.

I bought a flame maple one weeks ago from eBay/arkansasmusicworks for $240 US, I've seen them for as much as for $399, but when it arrived the preamp almost immediately crapped out, so I returned it. I really liked the look of the cutaway and arm rest. (That actually prompted me to fix my custom fretless bass uke sitting in limbo for months that needed a new preamp and pickup.)

Oscar Schmidt u-bass.JPG

BWE bass uke done.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have or play the new O.S. bass uke? I really like the deluxe maple model. Wish I'd have bought the Hadean prototype, but I didn't.

No OS here, but Rondo currently has 8 different Hadean bass ukes in stock as of the timestamp on this post.

go here:

http://www.rondomusic.com/

and in the blue toolbar at the top where is says PRODUCT SEARCH, type in 'uke bass' (without the quotes)

IIRC, they was ALSO available on Amazon since May 2015, for the SAME prices, but you have to search for them by name...

Returned it for a refund or replacement?

I bought a flame maple one weeks ago from eBay/arkansasmusicworks for $240 US, I've seen them for as much as for $399, but when it arrived the preamp almost immediately crapped out, so I returned it. I really liked the look of the cutaway and arm rest. (That actually prompted me to fix my custom fretless bass uke sitting in limbo for months that needed a new preamp and pickup.)

Oscar Schmidt u-bass.JPG

BWE bass uke done.jpg

I just bought one (also from arkansas music works...preamp works out of the box, hope it keeps going!). I've only been able to mess around with it for a bit at work, and only had it plugged in for about ten minutes so I will reserve critique on that for now. My initial reaction is that I've made a good purchase. Intonation seems pretty decent out of the box.

I get what people say about the Thundergut strings in that they are kinda sticky. The strings in general will take some getting used to. I'll get back after I've got a few days with it, but so far I think I'm going to enjoy it for what I wanted it for (just jamming at home, adding some bass lines to my home recordings).

Returned it for a refund or replacement?

Refund. I fixed my custom instead.

I get what people say about the Thundergut strings in that they are kinda sticky. The strings in general will take some getting used to.

I changed out all my Thundergut strings for Road Toad Pahoehoe and the new Kala nylon core metal wound. Like them both much better than Thunderguts, especially the smoothness of the Pahoehoe.

I'll have to give them a go. I think I'll keep the Thunderguts a go for a while but I'm excited to try the Pahoehoe. They are still stretching so I have to tune quite a bit.

I had a bit of time to play the bass last night and I am really digging it! All the strings sound even when plugged in. I had read that was a problem for some people (at least with the Rondo ones).

After a couple of days with it I have decided that I love this thing! I ended up buying it after I sold a cheapo Ibanez Gio bass that I never played and it's already logged more hours than the Gio that I had for about 8 months. I still haven't spent a lot of time with it plugged in. I know, I know, that's where I'm going to get the fullest sound. But for just sitting/walking around the house it's been great fun. And everyone I've shown is blown away by it's mere existence. "What is THAT?!" "Rubber band Strings?" jaja I enjoy the surprise people get when introduced to it. I know when I first saw one it threw me for a loop.

Top Bottom