http://vimeo.com/2492869

Only two things on my mind: KoAloha + Sceptre

UkuCouS
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I really dislike this angular design

experimentjon
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Must. Stop. The. UAS.

Good thing I don't have deep pockets...although if I had joined up in that pyramid scam with that GLA company that offered me the "bentley bonus" and 2% ownership in a multimillion dollar startup if I just put in a $100 investment...I would totally be able to afford a Sceptre/Pineapple Sunday.

Ahnko Honu
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
That things looks medieval dangerous cool, something a Klingon would play.
I'd probably hurt myself playing that thing. :D

http://www.koaloha.com/Images/KoAloha_Products/2008/SceptreTenor/SceptreTenor_006.jpg

dominicfoundthemooon
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
i love these!! the are so LOUD and they sound GREAT... some of them sound better than others depending on the wood..

the only reason i decided not to go with this uke.. is that i was not sure if it would be an "everyday uke" it looks more like one that is for special events and it a bit flashy! but it is amazing..

i have yet to watch papa in the video.. but i will soon.. thanks for the link!

i love the art that goes into the Koaloha ukes!! love love love it

Kaneohe til the end
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Pops sure can talk up a storm. but hes a natural storyteller, thats partially why the KoAloha Story was so well received, at least thats what i think.

dominicfoundthemooon
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
after watching the video.. i want one now!!! but i need to wait til paul is finished with the one i ordered now!! i have UAS for Koaloha

haolejohn
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
The story of the sceptre and then my follow up conversation with staff made me decide to go with KoAloha on my next pricey purchase. You can't go against God, IMO.

koa
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
The story of the sceptre and then my follow up conversation with staff made me decide to go with KoAloha on my next pricey purchase. You can't go against God, IMO.

Living in the "Wasteland of 'Ukulele", the KoAloha ukuleles and the family Okami have been a blessing. All the KoAlohas I have owned are nice players with a sweet sound. Paul Okami has been 1st rate regarding any questions. The consistent high quality of the instruments makes purchasing without touching less of sketchy situation.

The Scepter is bit to radical in design for my taste. Guess I'm an old fart that likes traditional shaped ukuleles. Where would you find a hard case to fit this uke?

UkuleleD
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Living in the "Wasteland of 'Ukulele", the KoAloha ukuleles and the family Okami have been a blessing. All the KoAlohas I have owned are nice players with a sweet sound. Paul Okami has been 1st rate regarding any questions. The consistent high quality of the instruments makes purchasing without touching less of sketchy situation.

The Scepter is bit to radical in design for my taste. Guess I'm an old fart that likes traditional shaped ukuleles. Where would you find a hard case to fit this uke?

The answer to that lies in your quote above ;)

GX9901
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
After watching that I kind of feel like playing my Pineapple Sunday a little bit...:p

I've played a couple of tenor Sceptres and I likened it to a more macho sounding Pineapple Sunday. For some reason I haven't had a huge desire to own one (and I actually like the design), but it's definitely a very nice instrument.

khrome
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
That things looks medieval dangerous cool, something a Klingon would play.
I'd probably hurt myself playing that thing. :D

http://www.koaloha.com/Images/KoAloha_Products/2008/SceptreTenor/SceptreTenor_006.jpg

lmao definitely looks Klingon. Or the Bat Uke.

I like it - it's not something I'd go for but I appreciate the creativeness of the design.

experimentjon
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
After watching that I kind of feel like playing my Pineapple Sunday a little bit...:p

I've played a couple of tenor Sceptres and I likened it to a more macho sounding Pineapple Sunday. For some reason I haven't had a huge desire to own one (and I actually like the design), but it's definitely a very nice instrument.

I'm sure you'll have a sceptre eventually. Hehe.

Ahnko Honu
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
lmao definitely looks Klingon. Or the Bat Uke.

I like it - it's not something I'd go for but I appreciate the creativeness of the design.

You are SO right, you could color in the Batman logo right into the bottom half of that uke! :D

UkuleleD
03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
It's not just the shape that strikes a chord(no pun) with me, it's the creative process that Papa KoAloha came about the idea in which I can relate to. Doesn't get any realer than that, and those who pass his story off as fiction or "new agey" are mistaken. When I am to plunge into the Sceptre market I will get a concert size over the tenor, just because I expect a certain sound from my tenors as opposed to my smaller scale ukes where I prefer the brighter livelier sound.
:shaka:

DoodlesMcDeezleLippy
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow that is a cool uke and an even cooler story. Its so robust in high g i wanna hear its sound in low g

uke puke
03-19-2009, 05:11 AM
That is a bit of a radical design for me. sounds great in the video though.
Kinda like the flying v of ukes

Hankthetank
03-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Jason does some amazing stuff on his KoAloha tenor Sceptor.:bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3UXcIoLyU0

:bowdown::bowdown:

NukeDOC
03-19-2009, 05:44 AM
between that video and facemelting ukulele showing how its done... I SO WANT ONE NOW.

at first i was a little turned off by the design. but man it sounds nice!

SnakeOiler
03-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry, but those things are butt ugly. Maybe for Spinal Tap, but...

khrome
03-19-2009, 07:35 AM
It's not just the shape that strikes a chord(no pun) with me, it's the creative process that Papa KoAloha came about the idea in which I can relate to.

I didn't have a chance to watch the vid until now and I'm just amazed at that story. I can relate to it as well. I have often sketched a scene I had in a dream so that I can turn it into artwork later. I also think there is more to dreams than just your brain needing to do something while you are asleep.

SnakeOiler
03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I didn't have a chance to watch the vid until now and I'm just amazed at that story. I can relate to it as well. I have often sketched a scene I had in a dream so that I can turn it into artwork later. I also think there is more to dreams than just your brain needing to do something while you are asleep.

I've written songs in my dreams. Then when I wake up I can just play it.

generem
03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I've always loved how the sceptre looks but... I want what ever Mr Okami took before sleeping that night.. Sounded like a fun trip:D

Ahnko Honu
03-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Personally I prefer the clean lines the KoAloha Pineapple (not Sunday) Soprano. ;)

khrome
03-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I've written songs in my dreams. Then when I wake up I can just play it.

That's pretty trippy!

Ahnko Honu
03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
That's pretty trippy!

Must be the snake oil. ;)

UkuleleD
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Yea, dreams are awesome. Occasionally I'll be having a dream and something happens that triggers me to say "wait a minute, this is a dream!". Upon then I can screw around in the dream but never had a ukulele be in it, if I did I would pick that sucker up and jam out like Jake:biglaugh:
:shaka:

Kaneohe til the end
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Nobody probably knows this but the reason the sceptre looks like it does is so it mirrors our headstock. The "K"s stands for the "king of Kings", his sceptre is between the "K"s, and the 7 points on our headstock stands for 7, the number of perfection, which is also mirrored in the crown bridge and the sceptre body itself.

Pretty awesome nee?

haolejohn
03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Nobody probably knows this but the reason the sceptre looks like it does is so it mirrors our headstock. The "K"s stands for the "king of Kings", his sceptre is between the "K"s, and the 7 points on our headstock stands for 7, the number of perfection, which is also mirrored in the crown bridge and the sceptre body itself.

Pretty awesome nee?

I knew this. And if I am not mistaken isn't there going to be "7" special ukes which the Scepture was actually the first but it was released on 07/07/07 after the pineapple sunday right? I'm not kidding, when i called the shop I talked for over an hour with one of the managers (Brian I think). Great Story.

Ahnko Honu
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
it was released on 07/07/07 after the pineapple sunday right?

Good thing not released the year, month, and day before- 06/06/06. :eek::cool:;)

Kaneohe til the end
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I knew this. And if I am not mistaken isn't there going to be "7" special ukes which the Scepture was actually the first but it was released on 07/07/07 after the pineapple sunday right? I'm not kidding, when i called the shop I talked for over an hour with one of the managers (Brian I think). Great Story.

yes, its called Papa KoAloha's master piece collection. the prototype for #3 is in its early development. other than that, i wont give anything away. except its awesomeness.

haolejohn
03-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Good thing not released the year, month, and day before- 06/06/06. :eek::cool:;)

THat was funny. I needed that laugh.

Gmoe
03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Glad you enjoyed the Sceptre Story. :D

It's one of the few pieces that was salvaged from the film, the actual KoAloha Ukulele Story footage that the film was based on was lost as many of you already know but luckily I'm a sound guy as well as a film guy and recorded my audio as backup.

Actually for you audio files, the reason the Sceptre sounds so good is because it was recorded on a Sound Devices 722 with a Sound Devices 302 mixer. The SD 722 was recording at 24bit 192kHz. I had a Sennheiser MKH 416 booming on Alvin's voice and then I'm filling in and picking up the Sceptre from below with an AKG c480b condenser mic with CK63 hyper capsule.

My Panasonic HVX-200 camera recorded the same audio from the camera mics, totally useless and unuseable. But Sound Devices saved the say!

If it were any other recording device, there would be no head room and we'd be waay in the red and get super major clipping and hence a horrible recording.

But not with Sound Devices, you can get right in the red and still be golden. That's why it's the industry standard!

So that's why I'm very glad that I bought the right gear to do the job. See when the Sceptre was on fire and Alvin was pushing it and pushing it as hard as he could, I could see the meters go waaay up past peaking territory and I didn't have time to bring the levels down because I wasn't prepared for how loud that sucker was going to be since I was on camera. But upon reviewing the audio, it literally checked out awesomely! No blaring and super peaking just full on beautiful raw sound power.

And remember you guys are hearing a compressed file streaming over the internet. It sounds even fuller on the DVD, it rocks hard when you crank up your stereo surround, it's really that scary loud!

So some of you folks may question the design that's understandable but I personally find it a piece of art and there's no question that Pops got some acoustic help from the man upstairs cause that Sceptre pumps like there's no tomorrow.

Hopefully in the coming months, I'll post footage of Pops Okami and Gordon Mark from my most recent trip out. Old school tunes with vocal and uke done superbly!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Sceptre Story footage. Glad it can inspire folks and get them to see that this ukulele shop in the middle of the pacific is making big waves all around the world.

Mahalo for watching and giving props to Pops & KoAloha y'all,:shaka:

Gary

facemeltingukulele
04-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Gmoe,
the Koaloha Story is sooo awesome!! I got a copy from Pops on loan and I must've watched it a dozen times already. Any plans on releasing a DVD of the film? I'd buy a bunch of em for friends and such. I think the film works even better as an animated story, must've been another tweak from "the man upstairs". You guys really captured the essence of the man and the story. Great job, I can't say enough about the film.

btw love my sceptre, after fixing some intonation problems, its my main gigging uke :D

Kaneohe til the end
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Gmoe,
the Koaloha Story is sooo awesome!! I got a copy from Pops on loan and I must've watched it a dozen times already. Any plans on releasing a DVD of the film? I'd buy a bunch of em for friends and such. I think the film works even better as an animated story, must've been another tweak from "the man upstairs". You guys really captured the essence of the man and the story. Great job, I can't say enough about the film.

btw love my sceptre, after fixing some intonation problems, its my main gigging uke :D

we had a few dvd's from when we sold them at the screening. ill ask paul if we've got any left

facemeltingukulele
04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
we had a few dvd's from when we sold them at the screening. ill ask paul if we've got any left

Mahalos! That'd be sweet. I think my brother might be coming up to Cali soon, I'll try get him to stop by the shop if you guys have any extra copies.

Gmoe
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Aloha facemeltingukulele (love the UU handle)

Yes, I got to get cracking and burn more DVDs that I will send to KoAloha folks next week. I don't know if Pops gave you the new version that we screened in Honolulu but Rocky and I worked our butts off and did some tweaks for the Arts at Marks Garage screening which I think makes it even better.

Mahalo for your support of the film. I can't believe you watched it so many times. Quite honestly I've seen it a thousand times from editing it and I too never get tired of it. We are very lucky to really put together what I think is the first animated ukulele documentary and the screening here on UU will be the first of its kind so I'm very appreciative to Ryan and everyone here on UU for having an interest in the film.

Alan Okami from KoAloha and I will be working to put together a children's book version of the film to promote the arts and literacy. So Rocky and I have our work cut out for us. We thought we were done but it is only the begining. :)

If you can do me a favor to help get the word out by posting your comments on imdb that would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s what to do:

1) You need to register on IMDB (it's free) & sign in
2) Search for The KoAloha Ukulele Story
3) Go to the "User Comments" section
4) Click on “Comment on this Title”
5) Post your comments!

You can use part of your posting on this forum as your review. We really want to get the word out so that more people can see it and know the amazing true to life story of KoAloha.

OliviaW
09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Grab some popcorn and get ready for some goosebumps:
http://vimeo.com/2492869

Only two things on my mind: KoAloha + Sceptre

Video is private.... can't view.