PDA

View Full Version : Strumming tips!

Irish Uke Tom
09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about strumming lately. Everyone's favourite topic!! I can do a good 3 finger/ 5 finger roll (I'll get to 10 someday hehe) and I can do the basic strum patterns. However, Chunking and the IZ strum are eluding me.

Right now I don't really care about chunking but I really want to get the IZ strum down.

It goes:

(Pick G string) DUUDU, (Pick G string) DUUDU

I naturally strum down with all five fingers and up with thumb - this sounds best to me and I'm so much better at it than single finger strumming. I'm struggling to keep any kind of rhythm doing this. Anyone have any tips or pointers?

Thanks!

PS. I may or may not be the only one who calls it an IZ strum :cool:

Pukulele Pete
09-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I naturally strum down with all five fingers and up with thumb -

Must be tough finding gloves that fit.

Irish Uke Tom
09-04-2015, 09:10 AM
It's a nightmare. That extra finger I was born with really allows me to ass flare to my ukulele playing though...

Irish Uke Tom
09-04-2015, 09:11 AM
And by ass I mean add and by flare I mean flair. I'm doing well :confused:

Pukulele Pete
09-04-2015, 09:23 AM
:drool::p A belated welcome to UU . I wish I could help with your strum
but I have a hard time with strums. Been trying a triple stroke for a while now but it looks like I'll never get the hang of it.

Pukulele Pete
09-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I feel your pain with that extra finger . If you look at my avatar I have a similar? problem , but it allows me to sing in stereo .

jollyboy
09-04-2015, 10:29 AM
ass flare

Aaarrghhh.... My eyes! My eyes!

ohmless
09-04-2015, 10:32 AM
I would recommend a couple different strums that are more basic if you are having trouble with the IZ one. Those are simplified carter strum picking which is picking the bass string with your thumb then strumming the other strings on the next quarter note. Also if the duudu strumming is the hard part then learn calypso strumming first. I still consider myself a beginner at strumming despite playing for almost two years. There are so many things to learn with this instrument and I neglected the strumming.

I am having the club strum blues. :rolleyes:

Irish Uke Tom
09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah ohmless, that's how I feel. I dived into teaching myself the uke and there are a lot of things I've left out. In Ireland, there's not much of a ukulele scene unfortunately, so no teachers. It's more the plucking of the strings while maintaining rhythm in the main strumming pattern - that's what I'm finding difficult. Probably practice like everything else.

Also, when I reach my dream of forming a ukulele band i'm going to call it ASS FLARE :)