Vise Is Nice

saltytri

Reaction score
No, not that kind of vice. This kind of vise:

20960616709_bd29562e3e_b.jpg

Sure, I could have bought the StewMac nut vise for $36.48 but this was easy to make and works very well. Holding the work piece well above the jaws of the parrot vise makes it much easier to file and sand, especially when shaping the top of a saddle. The plastic jaws won't mar anything that you'd make a nut or saddle out of. This came in handy while setting up a new build this afternoon so I thought it might be good time to show it off.

21155201161_9d6116de49_b.jpg

20526307623_b0d47ff457_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, clean work David. The ukulele looks lovely too. Koa > maple?

Hi, Jon. The wood combination on this one is a little different. I made it for my sister and wanted to honor some of our heritage. The back and sides are flamed birch that I picked up on a visit to Prince Edward Island, Canada, where some of our forebears lived. The koa top remembers the Hawaiian branch of our family. This is the first one completed since I started building again and it feels good to get one in the bag!

Just had a browse through your website; you build beautiful ukes!

Yes, pretty uke... Looking at your nut I think I hope you rounded those sharp corners... Funny how I we make these perfectly square corners and then have to round them off. As a player (he says), I like a nice nut that doesn't hang up on my hand... I like your vice too.

Yes, pretty uke... Looking at your nut I think I hope you rounded those sharp corners... Funny how I we make these perfectly square corners and then have to round them off. As a player (he says), I like a nice nut that doesn't hang up on my hand... I like your vice too.

Yes, of course. :) Those photos were taken during the process of using the vise to fabricate the nut and saddle. No one wants blood running down the peghead!

Last edited:
Nice little vice.

Had a good look at your website and can see you are an organised guy. lots of tool/jigs/thought-out processes illustrated. Its interesting to see how others work: your instruments are so cleanly made and the end result reflects your approach to building: great looking instruments. I for one want to see/hear more of your finished instruments.

Thank you very much for sharing.

That's a really good idea! I'll build one Tuesday and thank you.

Your nut vise realy genious !
Need one...
And your stuff still so clean...
Joli travail.
Gerard.
Loire Valley.
France.

Bonjour Gerard!

I enjoy your blog because it is always interesting to see different techniques. Keep up the good work!

Great idea!
I just took a stroll through your website. You do very nice work. The cherry tenor is fantastic!

Nice accessory jaws! Making up specialty jaws often makes a specific task much easier; here's a version I did to do the delicate work on a banjo bridge.
3035-14116102882015.jpg

An another way.
Certainely efficient too.

Thank's for sharing, Rudy.

So, next week, doing mine...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is a good idea and clean work. As a repairman, I have to say that the Stew-Mac vise is nice in that it is very portable and can be moved from bench to bench without disturbing the clamping process, whereas a big bench vise is stationary and bulky. Just some thoughts.

Very good! I like to see self made tools and putting them to good use:cool:..I would have made something like that for myself...but! as I already had this small vintage hand vice (English spelling) and it has served me well for years, so I don't see the need to make one yet.;)
Here it is with a soprano ebony nut i'm making.

Love the wing nut, Ken! That is a very cute vice/vise.

Since a couple of people indicated interest in making something similar, here's another photo. Each side has a 3/16" groove. A piece of rod is glued into one of the grooves so that there are only two pieces to fiddle with rather than three. The rod keeps the two halves in register and serves as a pivot so that the jaw slot at the top can accommodate workpieces of various thicknesses. This could be made with wood just as well as plastic.

21214199152_e77261b3fb_c.jpg

Top Bottom