Time for another Kamaka

fretie

Reaction score
I recently gifted my 2012 soprano Kamaka that I had bought a while back from a fellow UU'er. My uke pal has been playing a $35 emus for three years now and when she mentioned upgrading (finally!) I just couldn't resist offering her my Kamaka. She played it for the first time today and it was such a thrill to see her big grin as she strummed the uke!

Now I'm already restless to find another Kamaka but uncertain which to look for: a newer soprano or concert perhaps or maybe this is my chance to go older like say the 1998 Kamaka that I spotted on eBay. I was hoping to respect my $500 budget when out shopping for this uke.

I know many of you play and love Kamakas. I'd be pleased if you chimed in with your own opinions on which Kamaka I should consider next.

So nice of you to give your friend a Kamaka! I love my pineapple, it's the last uke I would ever sell. But you already have a pineapple, and it looks like you are missing a concert (judging by your signature). So that might fill a hole nicely.

Well, my approach is to simply collect Kamakas, and save the other makes for specialty instruments that Kamaka doesn't make. So all my standard shape Koa Ukes are Kamakas, but I have other makers' resonators, banjoleles, guitar replicas, etc. I like that system. Right now I have a John Morton resonator and a Tony Graziano Camp Uke on order, and I'll be picking out another Kamaka to order as soon as their 2016 commemoratives are available. Just now thinking about ordering a Kamaka long neck Tenor when the time comes.

a white or gold label is a good instrument. if you can find one for a good price, otherwise a newer kamaka soprano.

Wow, you let that Kamaka go Fretie. I knew you were a special person when I met you the day you picked it up at my house. Yeah, if you can find a concert, go for it. It all goes full circle, as you know. The next one will be extra special because you are extra special. Looking forward to seeing what it is and of course, if you need an address to send it; you are always welcome to have it sent here.

Wow, you let that Kamaka go Fretie. I knew you were a special person when I met you the day you picked it up at my house. Yeah, if you can find a concert, go for it. It all goes full circle, as you know. The next one will be extra special because you are extra special. Looking forward to seeing what it is and of course, if you need an address to send it; you are always welcome to have it sent here.

Thank you, Patrick, it would be fun to connect again over another Kamaka!

I've found that a late-model HP-1L longneck (soprano body, concert neck) is pretty much the best of all possible worlds - except it won't fall within the $500 budget, so there's that :) You might be able to find a HF-2 concert for about that much (I did, but it was some years ago).

I've found that a late-model HP-1L longneck (soprano body, concert neck) is pretty much the best of all possible worlds - except it won't fall within the $500 budget, so there's that :) You might be able to find a HF-2 concert for about that much (I did, but it was some years ago).

To me E, no matter what year or label, play it first.. all ukes have a different voice due to building tolerances
Wow you bought it from pat, cool

Hi Stan, She bought it from another member and had it sent to my home. I live right on the US/Canada border so she came down to avoid the extra delay with customs. She's a lovely lady with a wonderful smile.

I played so many Kamaka sopranos from all different eras and ended up buying two from 2013. The newer ones are really consistent quality wise. I have my eye on a third from 2013 already haha

Gee, lots of possibilities! I appreciate you all sharing your experiences and opinions. The search for the next uke is a big part of the fun, isn't it!

I'm leaning towards a concert now...will be on the lookout...really, there's no rush on this given that I'm not short on fine ukes to play in the meantime.

I played so many Kamaka sopranos from all different eras and ended up buying two from 2013. The newer ones are really consistent quality wise. I have my eye on a third from 2013 already haha

My pineapple is from 2014, I think it is wonderful. You're not the first person who has said the new ones are really good.

The kamaka Ohta-san.....kind of/sort of between a concert and a tenor. One great ukulele. Go for a later model with geared tuners. $500 will be difficult though. .

Last edited:
I bought my Kamaka long-necked pineapple soprano (made 2013) while in Hawaii at HMS in Feb. 2015. I love it. I'll be playing two songs on it at a lunch-time charity event next week. It's been my go-to uke since Hawaii (after my new Martin 2k tenor and my style 2).

I'm sure any Kamaka you would get would be amazing! I find they have a bell-like sound, amazing resonance especially when playing on the first two strings like a mandolin or playing 3rds on the 3rd and 2nd string. Just amazing. My Martin 3 cherry is the same on that front. However, the Kamaka is louder.

Nice to gift your friend a Kamaka. :cool: I've gifted one of my new Martins but I doubt I would gift a Kamaka. hehe

Petey

There was an early 1960s gold label Kamaka soprano in good shape at Ted Brown Music in Tacoma, Washington in your price range when I happened to be there last month.
I agree you are quite a friend to give a Kamaka as a gift and it's especially nice that she understands what she's been given.
-Vinnie in Juneau

(oops I had to edit; I'd first written early 1060s instead of 1960s - they have been making great ukes for a long time but not that long!)

Top Bottom