Do YouTube thumb ups matter?

Jeffelele

Reaction score
My question is: Does it matter to people who put up videos if those videos are seen within the forum or would it be better to them if they were watched on YouTube where they would be counted as views and giving a thumbs up if appreciated?

I try to remember to go to YouTube and give a thumbs up if I like the video. Also, YouTube lets me see if there are related videos I'm interested in.

I don't always remember to do this so I thought I'd ask if anyone who is a YouTube poster had an opinion.

It does seem to me that I see videos with less views and more likely less thumbs up than the UUF comments would suggest.

Any opinions?

Jeff

IMO the best online complement someone could give is in the form of a Youtube comment, encouragement or a critique. As a person who does youtube, I honestly barely look to see how many thumbs up I have, but I do respond kindly to all comments. I am loose and probably hit the like button for every video I watch in case the creator cares about those types of things. haha

and I forgot to mention I do click over to watch it on youtube as you said to either comment or to hit a related link afterwards.

i'm with ohmless on this, it's nice to get comments, it's interaction and a bit of chit chat, plus you know who it's from... thumbs up, and indeed thumbs down (which i am no stranger to!) whichever way, up or down, it's anonymous.

as a viewer i know i might very well forget to click the thumbs up, it doesn't mean i didn't like it, it just means i forgot!

so comments mean more, but thumbs up are nice, and for vids where i have thumbs down, it's nice if they are outnumbered by thumbs up!

but ultimately comments are much more personal, i feel

It's nice to get them but I don't check them most of the time. I tend to go straight to the comments page.

Only here in the northern hemisphere do they matter. In places below the equator, down under like Australia, they are thumbs down and don't matter. (In Ecuador they're neutral.)

I don't watch many but when I do - and I know they are UUers - I always thumbs up.

At the start I used to be hung up on getting likes; as though they were a talisman for if I was any good or not. Not a good way to think and only ends up fuelling more self esteem worries and mitigating any chance of building self confidence.

Years down the road I've come to a much different place and tend to use the yootoob thing more a personal diary. I find satisfaction in learning a song and being able to play it. I've snubbed my nose at the world generally and could care less what people think any more in all aspects of my life. That goes for outside affirmation too.

In this modern world, where it's considered a no-no to make a negative comment ... "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything! ... I suspect any like/dislike poll will be skewed to the "thumbs-up" simply because if one doesn't like something, it's just as easy to close the window as it is to find the "thumbs-down" button.

A positive comment is always nice :)

Do thumbs-up likes matter? This is a great question. I'm curious if anyone knows the answer beyond the "feels good" because, it was my impression that those with monetized YouTube channels get paid for thumbs-ups, no? I know they get paid for views, but many will ask "Please give this a thumbs up" in words or overlay...these are big time channels with many subscribers. Do thumbs-ups translate to paid views? Anyone with real answer or experience of a monetized channel, please chime in. Thanks.

Likes and dislikes are useful to the viewer as likes get saved to a separate folder for easy re-viewing and dislikes assist in filtering out videos which would otherwise be pushed to you in the related videos feed.

In this modern world, where it's considered a no-no to make a negative comment ... "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything! ... I suspect any like/dislike poll will be skewed to the "thumbs-up" simply because if one doesn't like something, it's just as easy to close the window as it is to find the "thumbs-down" button.

A positive comment is always nice :)

Ah yes, but the modern world of the internet is filled with trolls who have license to make ignorant and ugly comments behind a veil of anonymity. (Read the comments section of a CNN news article sometime, it could cause you to give up on humanity!)

I don't do Youtube because I have seen the comments section of very good musicians filled with garbage and I would rather not have to spend time managing that. How do you deal with the trolls? Maybe it is less of a problem than I think?

When I was a more actively gigging musician I had a word press page to promote my band and solo act and I turned comments off.

Last edited:
Ah yes, but the modern world of the internet is filled with trolls who have license to make ignorant and ugly comments behind a veil of anonymity. (Read the comments section of a CNN news article sometime, it could cause you to give up on humanity!)

I don't do Youtube because I have seen the comments section of very good musicians filled with garbage and I would rather not have to spend time managing that. How do you deal with the trolls? Maybe it is less of a problem than I think?

When I was a more actively gigging musician I had a word press page to promote my band and solo act and I turned comments off.

That's part of the reason why I keep my videos unlisted.

I like having my videos directly in the thread to make it that much easier for someone to view it, and they can always click the link on the video to go to the YouTube page. I get notified by email when a comment is added and I save all my video links to my bookmarks.

That's part of the reason why I keep my videos unlisted.

Let me tell you that in the almost two years that I have been making videos I have had maybe two negative comments left on my videos, and I don't even consider myself very good(actually lousy as a singer.) So IME you don't get flamed very badly when they are public.

Let me tell you that in the almost two years that I have been making videos I have had maybe two negative comments left on my videos, and I don't even consider myself very good(actually lousy as a singer.) So IME you don't get flamed very badly when they are public.

Negative comments from strangers wouldn't really bother me. I would shrug those off as "words on a screen." It's comments from people I have known for 20+ years that make me nervous...whether or not they are positive or negative.

Only here in the northern hemisphere do they matter. In places below the equator, down under like Australia, they are thumbs down and don't matter. (In Ecuador they're neutral.)

:rofl: good one Luke!

I almost never vote a thumbs down on anything. If I dislike something I just move on.

How about:
yes, it matters to pros/teachers who are trying to generate some visibility for their business/art/etc;
yes, it matters to some people who will feel better when they get lots of likes;
no, it doesn't matter to some people for a variety of reasons.

That's pretty much my experience. I think i've had just three negative comments and only one of those rankled. It wasn't the fact it was negative but the reasons given. I can't remember the details now but it niggled.

One I felt was fully justified criticism. It was a video where I felt, on reflection I hadn't done the song justice so I took it down.

I've had a few thumbs down but they've been very few too and don't worry me at all. It's just a matter of personal opinion.

The possibility of negative comments doesn't bother me on the whole. It's a hazard you can expect if you put yourself out there.

I like having my videos directly in the thread to make it that much easier for someone to view it, and they can always click the link on the video to go to the YouTube page. I get notified by email when a comment is added and I save all my video links to my bookmarks.

Email notifications of comments on You Tube seem to have stopped recently.

I've never understood those thumbs up.

YouTube still emails me when people comment on my vids. Sometimes, I can't reply on YT and I don't understand that. I do have a G+ account.

When you put your vids out there, you've got to be ready to take all comments. I've been doing YT vids since 2009 so I've had my fair share of good and some bad. Mostly good. I have deleted a troll or two before. I never tell anyone to subscribe. I'm not looking for views. I'm mostly enjoy getting another video project done and uploaded. It's fun. I do find it like a strange diary of my ukulele beginnings. I can see what ukes I was playing back in 2009, how I changed ukes over the years, how my playing got better, and how I changed from doing folk songs to reviews to song projects to tutorials.

Petey

Top Bottom