Tenor Longneck options

tangimango

Reaction score
thinking of getting a long neck tenor. which is basically a tenor body with baritone neck?

I want dgbe tuning. so whats some good options out there in the market?

also do you like the tenor longneck or baritone better? differences etc?

thanks

went on youtube to look for some sound demos, found a few, most was Thailand girls with longneck videos . LOL

seems all tenor longneck are tuned GCEA, couldn't find one with DGBE tuning.

The one that peaked my interest was the new John Kinnard Super Tenor.

Campbell, a member here, has one built by John Kinnard. And plays it with more than a teaspoon of skill.

Kamaka has one. They're 19" scale which is my preferred baritone scale, but it is harder to find DGBE strings that work well. My bruko bari is tuned up a step from that. If I had a longneck tenor I'd probably aim for linear Bb tuning

Idea: You could spring for one of those creatans with the guitar bodies and baritone necks, t. The ones where the neck looks so thin compared to the enormous body as to look frail, as though a good sneeze could break the neck clean off at the heel. They have a 23-inch fretboard, I think. Sort of like the washtub bass of the uke world. They're called Nui or some such thing; must be Hawaiian for odd duck.

I've seen Long Neck Tenors made by Kamaka (HF-3L) and Kanile'a (SE-ST 19), or John Kinnard (Kimo Hussey model) and Jay Lichty, if you want to go custom. They usually have a 19" scale.

A problem with tuning to DGBE could be that their body resonance might not suffice for that depth.

What the Kayaker alludes to is the Pono Baritone Nui with a 23" scale. They are awesome sounding tuned to DGBE, but not at all what you asked for...

I was given what turns out to be a super tenor, a no-name via Bruce Wei. Slightly larger body, 19" scale, cherry solid wood. Supposed to be a baritone, but the body is too small for that classification.

Southcoast recommended a high tension Bb tuning, two wound, two plain, with enough tension to drive the head. They seem to work well. And a capo on the second fret brings me to the club standard C6 tuning.

thank guys, so I learned, most tenor long necks ar 19" scale and are all GCEA tuning.
so there is no true tenor long neck with baritone scale that uses DGBE tuning. so all in all I will just pick up another BAri. lol

"All GCEA tuning"? Not sure how you got that impression. There are lots of options for tunings with the right strings. High d DGBE tuning is easily doable. Low D DGBE tuning is a little harder but still doable.

HF-3L tuned re-entrant Hi G sounds great...the scale is 1 inch shorter then Baritone...and two inches longer then the standard Tenor...since they set up many...call HMS...they will know for sure...you can always call and ask for Corey there...he is a really good musician...and will know...Or ask for Aaron...the setup guys will know too...not sure if they can play like Aaron or Corey though...

Top Bottom