"Long Neck" Differences

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Exactly how does the "long neck" variation effect the stringing and or tuning of the various standard sizes of Ukulele? I have a long neck pineapple soprano with a 15" scale which uses (I think) the same strings and tuning as my standard soprano which has a 13 1/2" scale. But a recent thread about a long neck tenor seems to say that different strings and tuning from that of a standard tenor would be appropriate for the longer neck. So that confuses me. Just what is one getting into with the "long neck" variation?

In general, "long neck's" use the next size strings....a soprano long neck uses concert size strings, etc. Some string manufacturers use the same diameter strings for soprano's and concert's and some do not. That's why Southcoast strings are popular. Depending on the uke (some wouldn't benefit much), it is often desirable to get strings whose diameters will provide optimal tension for a specific scale length. Best sound sometimes comes down to optimal string tension which is sometimes hard to get with "generic" string sets. You will see many recommendations on UU for specific string sets for specific instruments. No one string set best for all.

It's generally best to use strings designed for the scale not the body size. But it is somewhat common for string manufacturers to recommend the same strings for soprano and concert. Obviously you'll get higher tension on the longneck unless you go with a lower tuning. You're not getting into anything weird with a long neck soprano.

The long neck tenor is a different beastie as the 19" scale requires more thought on string selection regardless of what tuning you want to aim for. Normal 17" tenor strings are already higher tension (generally) so winding them up for 19" scale is going to be really high tension. So either you need to look for thinner strings or lower tunings to accommodate.

The main point, I think, is that they sound different. A longneck soprano has a soprano resonator, with the string sound of a concert. So, it doesn't quite sound like either. The tension also affects technique a bit. Lower tension is great for most styles of strumming. Higher tension is great for finger-style.

I think this is a pretty good thread. I learned a lot. I used to think I needed a long neck concert, but you've convinced me otherwise, possibly. I tried a set of tenor strings on my standard length concert uke once, and did NOT like them. Maybe that's not the same. But I couldn't wait to change them.

tenor strings for the long neck concerts...i believe my long neck tenor comes with re-entrant tenor strings from kamaka...but i never checked...still playing those...and yes all you haters...they still sound wicked good and look cool in black!

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been wondering about Kala's solid mahogany xl tenor (or long neck tenor). Scale length is 18.875 in, so closer to a baritone than a tenor. Could something like that handle either tenor (GCEA) or baritone strings (DGBE), being kind of the best of both worlds? Or would it be "not quite right" either way and end up being the worst of both worlds?

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been wondering about Kala's solid mahogany xl tenor (or long neck tenor). Scale length is 18.875 in, so closer to a baritone than a tenor. Could something like that handle either tenor (GCEA) or baritone strings (DGBE), being kind of the best of both worlds? Or would it be "not quite right" either way and end up being the worst of both worlds?

I have a 19" scale tenor and have used both tenor set tuned GCEA and a baritone set tuned DGBE. How do you like the sound and playability of your Kala?

I have a 19" scale tenor and have used both tenor set tuned GCEA and a baritone set tuned DGBE. How do you like the sound and playability of your Kala?
I don't have one. I'm learning on a concert scale banjolele that I bought on Amazon. 😬 Unfortunately, I live in Central Asia and don't have any ukes available here. When I'm back in the US, I want to buy one. I think I want a baritone, but I'm not 100% certain. I like "guitar sounding" so you can see the appeal of a bari.

I don't have one. I'm learning on a concert scale banjolele that I bought on Amazon. 😬 Unfortunately, I live in Central Asia and don't have any ukes available here. When I'm back in the US, I want to buy one. I think I want a baritone, but I'm not 100% certain. I like "guitar sounding" so you can see the appeal of a bari.

If you like the guitar like sound of a baritone then a baritone with its larger body will you more of that then a long neck tenor. Most baritones have a scale length of +20" which will give better string tension and sustain, all things being equal

Exactly how does the "long neck" variation effect the stringing and or tuning of the various standard sizes of Ukulele? I have a long neck pineapple soprano with a 15" scale which uses (I think) the same strings and tuning as my standard soprano which has a 13 1/2" scale. But a recent thread about a long neck tenor seems to say that different strings and tuning from that of a standard tenor would be appropriate for the longer neck. So that confuses me. Just what is one getting into with the "long neck" variation?
George, my "longneck" experience has been solely with a longneck soprano. It was a Kala with a spruce top. I have since made disposition of that uke, but I often wonder about trying to find another one just like it. And I think the main reason I liked that uke so much was this-- I've always felt that the "gCEA" tuning on a standard-scale soprano felt just a little too wiggly; and i know I could just tune upward a half-step, but then I'd get into the usual issues about my singing voice eventually being over-taxed, and being in an "in-between" tuning when wanting to play with others (as the expression goes, "you know the drill..."); but I really love the soprano body size; so, the longneck soprano allowed me to keep that body size, and with standard soprano strings I found that the "feel" had just the right amount of firmness in "gCEA", and the tone and projection seemed to improve too. (On standard-scale sopranos in "gCEA" I'll often use the Fremont Blackline Hard Tension strings, which is another way of creating a firmer feel.)

this might help

Top Bottom