How to recognise strings?

Celluke

Reaction score
Is there a way to recognise the type of strings on a ukelele? E.g. how would I know if one has Aquila strings or something else? Bowed stringed instruments have different coloured end sections but this doesn't seem to be the case with guitar-type instruments.

Not all Aquila strings look the same. The typical nylguts have a very opaque, whitish look to them and can usually be recognized.

Texture, thickness, and color can help. Like Phil wrote, the Aquila Nylguts are opaque white, fairly "hard", and somewhat thick. Worth Browns are, well, brown, and much thinner. Aquila also has the lava strings, which are silvery with a lighter wound string. It's harder with many fluorocarbon strings that are mostly transparent looking, and usually thin. Some "feel" more sticky and soft, others are harder. It's basically a matter of exposure to different strings, unless they have distinctive attributes like the above mentioned strings.

Just curious why you need to know? For $5-10 you can change the strings and know exactly what is on it. :p

Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to fluorocarbons it can be next to impossible to tell.

A couple of general guides though.

If they are white opaque - they are very likely to be Aquila Nylguts
If they are red - quite likely to be Aquila reds
If they are kind of pearly dark grey - likely Aquila Lava
If they are dark brown - likely Worth Browns
If clear or black - could be one of many many types - mainly because most fluorocarbon strings start life in factories that make fishing lines (which tend to be clear for fishing purposes).

Incidentally, I was told that worth browns are made of the same material that makes the bristles on artificial hair floor sweeping brushes...

I'm going to expand on the initial post (mine in bolded), as it's a great start.

If they are white opaque - they are very likely to be Aquila Nylguts
If they are red - quite likely to be Aquila reds
If they are kind of pearly dark grey - likely Aquila Lava
If they are dark brown - likely Worth Browns
If they are a purplish hue - likely a Titanium Nylon, either D'Addario or GHS
If clear and high tension - probably a fluorocarbon, and could be Worth, Oasis, GHS, D'Addario, Martin, etc.. No "clear" way to tell
If clear/hazy white and low tension - probably a nylon, could be LaBella or D'Addario
If a hazy white and super smooth - probably a rectified/ground nylon, either LaBella or GHS
If VERY black and low tension - most likely traditional black nylon, which nearly everyone - LaBella, D'Addario, GHS, Hilo, etc etc - offers

Incidentally, I was told that worth browns are made of the same material that makes the bristles on artificial hair floor sweeping brushes...

That's true for nylon strings, but I'm not so sure about Worth Browns, as I thought they were still fluorocarbon (and fluoro is much more expensive to make, which would not be cost-effective for bristles of brooms, etc).

So do I !!!LOL

I think this is a good question, mostly to put the same strings back on the ukulele when time to change out. I have some secondhand ukuleles and had to guess, and some of my guesses were not as good. (If buying new, sometimes the string type is in the website information.)

Top Bottom