Donald Trump for President

I was skeptical about this post until I heard the song.
Thanks for sharing.

BTW, if Trump wins I am moving back to China. =)

A member has complained about this video/thread. Having viewed the video and listened to the song I find nothing offensive in it.

In answer to a question the complainant included in his message: yes, it is ok for you to post equivalent commentary about candidates of other political persuasions - as long as you do it in the same musical medium and as long as, like the OP, you do it with at least some attempt at satirical style and skill. Plain insulting content will not be tolerated.

I confess a political bias which is extremely opposed to Mr Trump and the kind of views he expresses. For that reason I will request that other moderators review my action here to make sure it is even handed.

BTW, please don't drag this thread into a political debate. That stuff isn't what UU is about and it tends to go wrong very quickly.
Try to keep comments focused on the musical and lyrical merits of the song (as far as possible).

Be cool.

Thanks.

Whoever reported this needs to get a life. This is an excellent song, Brian.

Very silly to report something, just because you disagree.

A fitting tribute to the next U.S. President.

Very clever, and well done song.
Unfortunitly, we are embarking on a slippery slope, that can still be avoided. I can guarantee that there is at least one person with hurt feelings, due more to the responses than the song.
As a moderator on another site, Harley related, I and the other moderators thought we could handle it, and it cost us a lot of fine contributors before it was all over.
There is a reason they say to avoid religion and politics.

I can guarantee that there is at least one person with hurt feelings, due more to the responses than the song.
What? That person had hurt feelings before any responses were made which is why they chose to report this post. The truth always offends people.

We are talking about a song here. Art. Art stretches boundaries and causes us to look at things from an altered perspective; if it's any good. If one is unable to appreciate a tongue in cheek lampoon of the current political climate in the US without feeling the need to report the songwriter then that is truly sad.

I thoroughly enjoyed your original song. The lyrics are very clever. Very well done!

The world's biggest circus/
Needs the world's biggest clown

Great line!

I know, right?
So funny.
I have to admit that the "derogatory line that I will not repeat here" almost offended me until I heard the 'circus-clown line' repeated and realized the context.
To be honest, I truly like when satire is so good that I might be shocked by it at first. Like reading Twain or Kurt Vonnegut Jr. for the first time. =)

What? That person had hurt feelings before any responses were made which is why they chose to report this post. The truth always offends people.

We are talking about a song here. Art. Art stretches boundaries and causes us to look at things from an altered perspective; if it's any good. If one is unable to appreciate a tongue in cheek lampoon of the current political climate in the US without feeling the need to report the songwriter then that is truly sad.
I totally agree with you as far as your comments on the song, and the merits of political satire and furtherance of art. I disagree with your assessment of hurt feelings. He was offended by the song. I guarantee he had hurt feelings later, after the responses. If you and the other moderators, could limit the responses to the merits of the song, there would be no problem, but that doesn't happen. When you, and others, publicly call him out, or switch to pure ridicule of Trump, you are alienating a portion of your members, and stepping on toes. Personally several of the candidates on both sides of coin, scare the liver out of me. That is beside the point.
My comment was made purely from experience, that pursuing this path can cause problems that can be avoided. If you choose to not heed that advice, that is certainly your choice. I hesitated to respond at all, but I hoped I could help. I all ready regret over ruling my initial reluctance to respond.

I totally agree with you as far as your comments on the song, and the merits of political satire and furtherance of art. I disagree with your assessment of hurt feelings. He was offended by the song. I guarantee he had hurt feelings later, after the responses. If you and the other moderators, could limit the responses to the merits of the song, there would be no problem, but that doesn't happen. When you, and others, publicly call him out, or switch to pure ridicule of Trump, you are alienating a portion of your members, and stepping on toes. Personally several of the candidates on both sides of coin, scare the liver out of me. That is beside the point.
My comment was made purely from experience, that pursuing this path can cause problems that can be avoided. If you choose to not heed that advice, that is certainly your choice. I hesitated to respond at all, but I hoped I could help. I all ready regret over ruling my initial reluctance to respond.

Very fair points you make. And I do get where you're coming from. Just a few quick points: it wasn't a 'public' call out of anyone. the person who reported the post is anonymous and remains so. Second, it's a forum right. So we exchange opinions. We don't always agree and nor should we feel hamstrung if we feel a wrong is done to another member- in this case, I felt that was done to the OP and don't rescind what I said earlier. Finally - and just a by the way - I am no longer a moderator here as was my choice. But reporting that? Seriously? OK, if someone is an ass and personally attacks another member sure, or spams the place and etc, but for a song as the one under discussion. That's a joke. On the other hand, that's only my opinion and the person who reported is free to stand up for the other side of the argument if and when they want to. That makes for a healthy discussion - like you've done, and good on you for it I say. You should have no regret at all for your contribution.

Allow me to share my actual, personal experience with this kind of thing. Not too long ago I was a happy, active member of another forum very much like this one. It was a forum for owners and others interested in a particular kind of motor vehicle. I had been an active member for more than a year. That forum had a Rule against posting political or religious commentary. One day I read a new post about the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI which was followed by a number of reply posts, all of which seemed to say it was a good thing that the Pope had resigned and that he had needed to go because (in the opinions of those posting) he wasn't getting with the progressive liberal program of Church reform. I strongly disagreed. The first thing I did was to officially object to the thread as violating both the "no politics" and "no religion" Rules. My protest was ignored. The next thing I did was to post my own reply in which I pointed out that Pope Benedict XVI was possibly facing internal opposition within the Catholic Church because of his strongly held conservative convictions about abortion and homosexuality. And I said "Perhaps the world just isn't ready for a Pope as holy as [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Benedict XVI." For that, and only that, I was [/FONT]banned for life[FONT=arial, sans-serif] from that forum. I was devastated, even cried about it. But, I learned a valuable lesson. A forum may appear to be inclusive, and accepting, and tolerant of everyones' views and opinions. But that can change in a heartbeat when someone steps across the invisible line, and expresses an opinion contrary to what the owners and moderators of the forum consider to be "the right idea." The result is that I no longer feel at liberty to express myself freely, even in a forum where I feel very comfortable and at home. As far as I can see, the only solution to this problem is a policy disallowing political and religious postings, whether musical satire or not, coupled with strict enforcement of that policy. Otherwise, people on one side of any issue are going to "get their licks in" while those on the other side will be consigned to licking their wounds of resentment. It's just not fair to allow one sided political or religious commentary of any sort. It's not about how clever and musically worthy the satire may be. It's about what will happen on the forum when someone with an opposing view posts a reply and starts a firestorm. The actual value of disallowing the original post is to avoid that situation in the first place.[/FONT]

Any "Hillary" songs out there ? Or have they been deleted and wiped with a cloth ?

Last edited:
Right on, George, it's about music here. I don't like the censorship on the forum, but I try to censor myself most of the time. But allowing any kind of political stuff on the UU is just asking for trouble.

Why can't we all just get along? :eek:ld:

Top Bottom