Thoughts on Martin T1K now that you've had it awhile.....

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Just curious what people who own Martin T1K tenors are thinking now that they have played them awhile... I see lots of love for the C1K concert and there was a thread done by Petey in 2012......

Comments from owners on the T1K, strings they like, overall impression.....

Thanks

I still have my T1K and took it out and played it this morning. It is still great. Though, I play mostly my new Martin 2k tenor instead.

Enjoy it!

Petey

I had both and sold both. They were both good, but in my case I had a lot of instruments. The concert was really great. The one I had had pretty wood and also was a great player with great tone. My only objection was that it had a 12 fret join at the neck. And, great as it was I had other concerts that we just as good but also more polished in appearance. I mainly sold it so that someone else could enjoy it. The tenor was very good but not as good as the concert, at least to my subjective view. I also sold it so someone else could enjoy it.

From my small sample size it seems to me that at least some of the Martin UC1K instruments have something "special". The T1K is a good uke for the money. Now someone else might have a different experience. The T1K is certainly a good uke and some might be great.

tTanks for the replies... I was going to do a bump but you beat me to it. Petey your review was very good and got me interested in the T1K. The T2K is $1699.00 or more in Canada and I'm sure much nicer but for that kind of dollar.... I have to play it in person. Did you do a review on the T2K? I'm curious how consistent TK1's are. Thread in this section for NUD the OP said he went through a number at the dealer ship to get a really good one. Koa on his was really good

Kaysay, I've seen your comments and OTHERS on C1K and finding a good one. Wish there were some around my neck of the woods to try either. size I am a tenor player but always looking for something special.

You don't see many T1K up for sale in the used market so people much be keeping them.

Curious how happy other owners of T1K are. I think they look like a nice package , especially if you get some nice Koa with clear sound.

Would anyone with who's played a Martin T1K say it was an upgrade from a Pono AT.... sound an quality wise?
Just curious.

I had a Pono AT and even though I think the Pono Pro Classics are great, I thought the Pono AT was just OK. Overall I'd say its on a par with the T1K. The T1K has a thinner neck; I enjoyed playing it more than the Pono AT.

... Petey your review was very good and got me interested in the T1K. The T2K is $1699.00 or more in Canada and I'm sure much nicer but for that kind of dollar.... I have to play it in person. Did you do a review on the T2K? I'm curious how consistent TK1's are. Thread in this section for NUD the OP said he went through a number at the dealer ship to get a really good one...

The T1K that I found by chance was in my early days of acquiring new Martins. It was in a music store in Montreal and I tested it out and knew it was a keeper. I bought it within 5 minutes. The guy at the counter told me they don't last long in the store. I would imagine not all are the same and it would be best to try them out first. I know I played a new S1 soprano and it had buzzing and didn't sound as good as the S1 I eventually bought. I sent back my cherry soprano and got a second one. So, it's a bit of a toss up. For the most expensive bling, it would be best to test them first.

I still haven't done my Martin 2K review yet. Had it all planned out but need to get back at it.

Petey

I’ve had my T1k for a couple of weeks now arriving after ordering it back in February 22, I love it and was fortunate to receive one with the most amazing wood grain, and the smell from the sound hole, definitely a Martin.
However…….. I do have a couple of gripes regarding the craftsmanship of this particular instrument which I do intend on contacting Martin about.
* Firstly, the outside edges of the frets where very sharp needing urgent work to avoid wearing skin away while playing, they were honestly that sharp, never seen this on any other uke ever.
* Secondly, the groves in the nut are all too wide and all the same width allowing the G string to slightly buzz when plucked or strummed.
* Thirdly, the G string runs down along side the frets just as the frets start to round off the fret board allowing the string to slip off at times when playing. The A string is fine.
A new nut installed with correctly sized grooves would solve these last two issues but hey ! This is a Martin right? and I shouldn’t need to deal with these issues.
So I guess the point of me posting this is to inform potential T1k buyers to check the instrument properly if it is at all possible before buying. Unfortunately for me mine was an on line purchase and to send it back and wait another 9 months I couldn’t bare.

Top Bottom