Uke Body Shapes

Ukettante

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the vintage shape, narrow waist, has fallen out of favor? Fallen out of favor in the sense that it is not the predominant shape we see on the market?

Can you post a photo of what you you consider "vintage shape, narrow waist"? Although no historian of the instrument, I have read some books tracing their derivation and development and I tend to think that most Ukes I see are traditionally shaped.

Hollisdwyer, I'm technologically inept. Can't post photos. Haha. I'm thinking of Ohana's SK-28 and Anuenue's 1879 vintage uke replica, the Dias/Nunes clones. They have a noticeably narrower waist than the majority of the "modern" ukes I see on the market, which mostly resemble Martin shapes.

The ones you mention look much like the machete, the ukulele's predecessor. The shape then seems to have moved closer to the that of the guitar.

Generally referred to as the figure 8 shaped body.

The ones you mention look much like the machete, the ukulele's predecessor. The shape then seems to have moved closer to the that of the guitar.

Well, that clears that up! It is interesting though to speculate on why the Uke changed from machete to a mini tenor guitar shaped instrument.

I can't see the difference.

Last edited:
Manual Nunes style ukulele:
image.jpg

1920-30's Martin 3K (reproduction):
image.jpg

I think that this is the difference that Ukettante is referring to.

I cruise the internet pretty much everyday looking at ukes and I wouldn't say that slightly narrower waist is predominant, I have seen a few more styled like that, but the guitar proportion is certainly far more prevalent.

I'm certainly no expert on the acoustics of the Ukulele, but I always thought the different sizes of the upper and lower bouts were for producing a pleasing balance of higher and lower resonances. Or, am I mistaken in that?

I'm certainly no expert on the acoustics of the Ukulele, but I always thought the different sizes of the upper and lower bouts were for producing a pleasing balance of higher and lower resonances. Or, am I mistaken in that?

Interesting question. I'd like to know too.

I'm certainly no expert on the acoustics of the Ukulele, but I always thought the different sizes of the upper and lower bouts were for producing a pleasing balance of higher and lower resonances.
Then where does that leave pineapple, bell, teardrop, and other body shapes? Maybe some builders could chime in here.

In the guitar world, there's constant discussion about body shapes and the effects they have on the sound, or the sound that each body shape is designed to produce. I posted this question thinking what does it mean that the Nunes/Dias shape has fallen out of vogue and resurfaces only now and then in "vintage" replicas? A nearly forgotten but revered link in the evolution of the uke? And yes, what about the pineapple, bell, and tear-drop shapes? There's just not much discussion about them in the uke world.

Not sure how pertinent this is, but my mandolin style ukulele with F holes seems to be deeper sounding than my other standard shaped ukes that have Aquila Nylgut strings.

While just speculating... There has been a significant change in the type of music played on a ukulele in recent years and there is no denying that the sound has evolved into more of a classical guitar tone. This is especially true with the larger ukulele sizes. Modern ukes have more sustain, and "bell-like" tones are a desirable trait over a more traditional "plucky" sound.

In turn luthiers have designed their instruments to accentuate this trend in both shape and materials. Look at the variety materials used today versus traditional ukuleles. It is pretty obvious that it is not just supply/demand/cost when it comes to tonewood.

John

Modern ukes have more sustain, and "bell-like" tones are a desirable trait over a more traditional "plucky" sound.

I think I agree. Of the early famous ukulele players, were there any that did solo instrumental performances? Without having looked into it deeper, it seems to me that the ukulele was much more of (or strictly?) an instrument for accompanying a group of musicians or a singer, whereas today it's an all-around instrument, like an acoustic guitar. The brassy tones are great for the former, but the mellow, fuller sound, as well as the physical size, of the larger ukuleles lend themselves well to melodic playing and finger style.

Last night at a folk club I go to regularly, the lady I was sat next to was playing a Mahalo ukulele whose body shape seemed closer to the Nunes than the Martin. This was a modern low cost Uke - one of their better models but still low cost - so maybe some are still going with the vintage shape.

Top Bottom