Is there any difference?

Rllink

Reaction score
Is there any difference between these Lanikai Aquila Nylgut strings, and just regular, Aquila Nylgut strings from Aquila? The reason I ask, is that I have several sets of the Lanikai Aquila strings laying around and have used them on my other uke. I put the Super Nylguts on my Mainland, and I don't really like them as well, and they are getting worn out. so I'm wondering if I should buy a set of the regular Aquilas, or just use a set of my Lanikai strings.

laniki nylgut.jpg

I think there was nylgut, and then new nylgut, so depending on the vintage of the string.. it could be different?
Super's are something altogether different. They're whiter, and feel tighter, and sound.. different.

Anyway, If you have extra strings that you like the sound of, might as well use them.

I think there was nylgut, and then new nylgut, so depending on the vintage of the string.. it could be different?
Super's are something altogether different. They're whiter, and feel tighter, and sound.. different.

Anyway, If you have extra strings that you like the sound of, might as well use them.
That is probably what I will do. I just wondered if there was a difference is all. I know that the supers are different and what they sound like, because I put a set on, played them for a couple of months, and didn't like them.

I wondered if the strings are really the same, just distributed by different companies. I was convinced of that recently when I saw that D'Addario released a set of bass uke strings that looked like the Aquila Thunderguts. When I called D'Addario to ask if their new strings were different then the Aquila, they guy said, "Those strings are our own, but when you see them, you make your own judgement." He sent me a free set and guess what, the D'Addarios are exactly the same as the Aquilas.

It is probably a dumb question, because it says on the package, Lanikia, made by Aquila, Nylgut Ukulele Strings, with the trademark symbol, then the Aquila logo down in the corner. I don't know how much more they have to say, but I just wondered, as they are generally priced a dollar or so less than the Aquila packaged strings. I actually a year ago, bought five sets of them for under twenty-five dollars, shipping included.

If you can't tell if they're different... then it really doesn't matter does it?

Top Bottom