The BR 8 string build progresses

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Allen McFarlen just posted this 'mock up' photo of the progression of my new 8 string. The fretboard is just laid on top of the neck and soundboard which are glued together.
image.jpg

After seeing these progress photos, a friend said "it's like watching a pregnancy". I replied, " yes, the creation of something beautiful in both cases".

Congratulations, that looks beautiful, indeed! What are the woods being used, especially on the top and on the fretboard? I love how the wood pattern of the fretboard continues onto the headplate. And that large lower bout looks very interesting. Are all Barron River ukes shaped like that or is this something special/new?

Very curious to see how your Barron River will turn out! Already love the shape -- definitely a fan of Alan's work.

That is already looking beautiful. I agree with Rainer regarding the stripping running up the fret board into the head plate, very artistic. Allan is very much an artist as well and a craftsman.

Congratulations, that looks beautiful, indeed! What are the woods being used, especially on the top and on the fretboard? I love how the wood pattern of the fretboard continues onto the headplate. And that large lower bout looks very interesting. Are all Barron River ukes shaped like that or is this something special/new?

The woods are Honduran Mahogany for the top, back and sides. Allen found a piece that had that 'waterfall' figuring that I liked. His shaping does seem more asymmetric than many other makers. Have a look at his gallery, the tenors all seem to be similar, the concerts are a bit more symmetrical http://www.brguitars.com/gallery/tenor/
The fretboard and head stock is a continuing piece of streaky ebony that he recently sourced from India. The continuation of the streak from fretboard to head plate (both front and back) was something that I saw he did for his first 8 string. I asked for the same effect and am very happy about how it turned out.

Top Bottom