PDA

View Full Version : LfdM sound sample

DownUpDave
09-07-2015, 05:54 AM
http://www.dropbox.com/s/rnx7mlnp2fm5iyy/LfdM%20sound%20sample.wav?dl=0

Here is a sound sample of my new LfdM. There were a number of requests so I finally got off my butt and figured out how to record.

This is tenor ukulele with a Sitka Spruce top and Amazon Rosewood back and sides.

johnson430
09-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for sharing this sound sample, it is a very nice sounding uke and I know you are happy about it/

Once thing:
I understand you might have been just noodling around but I had one observation about your playing and I am in no way trying to offend you, I would hope to only improve your playing.
Just curious, do you ever practice with a metronome?
I always learn a song with a metronome at a slower speed and then once I make sure I can play the notes and get the right rhythm slowly then I can speed it up and add my own 'thing' to the piece or just play it the way it was written.
Please do not think I am attacking you or your playing abilities and that uke has a great sound.
Kindly,
Johnson

Rakelele
09-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Great Job, Dave! Wow, that sounds warm and rich and deep. Cpngratulations again.

DownUpDave
09-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanks for sharing this sound sample, it is a very nice sounding uke and I know you are happy about it/

Once thing:
I understand you might have been just noodling around but I had one observation about your playing and I am in no way trying to offend you, I would hope to only improve your playing.
Just curious, do you ever practice with a metronome?
I always learn a song with a metronome at a slower speed and then once I make sure I can play the notes and get the right rhythm slowly then I can speed it up and add my own 'thing' to the piece or just play it the way it was written.
Please do not think I am attacking you or your playing abilities and that uke has a great sound.
Kindly,
Johnson

No offense taken. I was just noodling around and decided to record it. Not sure what you are trying to say but I had hoped people would just enjoy the sound this ukulele can produce. If you are suggesting the tempo was too slow I did that purposely to highlight the tone this uke produces.

At the age of 57 this is the first instrument I have ever played. No music lessons or classes as a young person. I have only been playing for 16 months, I know nothing about music but it brings me great joy.

chuck in ny
09-07-2015, 07:17 AM
don't worry about it dave you're doing well and right on schedule. nice sounding instrument very clear and present.

Mivo
09-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Love the sound of your newest uke, and I enjoyed listening! The recording quality was pretty good, too. What did you use?

DownUpDave
09-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Love the sound of your newest uke, and I enjoyed listening! The recording quality was pretty good, too. What did you use?

Thank you very much. I used a Zoom H2n recorder that I plugged into my phone via the headphone jack. The Zoom then becomes an external mic, better quality than just recording straight from the phone. This is my first time doing something like that and I have a lot to learn.

Hippie Dribble
09-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Like the sound a lot mate. Very crisp and clean. Sure seems like it has a big, dynamic voice and would bark like a wild thing if you really dug in.

Hotel California followed by Wish You Were Here? :) (wasn't sure about the last part...)

Nice to hear you play mate, even if it is only a demo. Cheers Dave.

hawaii 50
09-07-2015, 08:15 AM
don't worry about it dave you're doing well and right on schedule. nice sounding instrument very clear and present.

I second it...the Lfdm sounds good....I am in the same boat as you stay positive and .....just have fun...:)

DownUpDave
09-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Like the sound a lot mate. Very crisp and clean. Sure seems like it has a big, dynamic voice and would bark like a wild thing if you really dug in.

Hotel California followed by Wish You Were Here? :) (wasn't sure about the last part...)

Nice to hear you play mate, even if it is only a demo. Cheers Dave.

Hey Jon, you guessed the first two correctly. The third piece was "A Little Night Music" by Rob MacKillop. I just got his book "20 Easy fingerstyle studies for ukulele" and I am really enjoying it. Thanks for the kind words, this uke is better than I will ever be.

Ukulele Eddie
09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Nice, Dave! I can almost see the grin on your face as I listen to your sample. Haven't come across a tab for Wish You Were Here before, will have to put that one in the "to learn" queue. Of course, I need to live 2.5 lifetimes to get through that queue, but what the heck...

Doc_J
09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Sweet sound Dave. Very nice sound sample. That might be the best sounding LFdM I have heard.

Wish You Were Here sounded great. One of my favorite songs/albums. What tabs/chords are you using.

Thanks!

fretie
09-07-2015, 02:04 PM
That is most definitely a gorgeous sounding uke and you showcased its sound beautifully, Dave!

SoloRule
09-08-2015, 04:02 AM
Thank you very much. I used a Zoom H2n recorder that I plugged into my phone via the headphone jack. The Zoom then becomes an external mic, better quality than just recording straight from the phone. This is my first time doing something like that and I have a lot to learn.

It sounds heavenly to me. You have done a great job demonstrating the quality of this instrument. It is so crisp with the SouthCoast strings. I am looking forward to 'touching' it in a few weeks. Sound of a metronome reminds me of my hateful piano lesson days. So glad you don't use one either.
You must show me how to do this Zoom H2n recorder. I have been using a recording app from the Ipad, the result is not good at all this is why I can't post anything.

keod
09-08-2015, 04:12 AM
At the age of 57 this is the first instrument I have ever played. No music lessons or classes as a young person. I have only been playing for 16 months, I know nothing about music but it brings me great joy.

You and the instrument sound absolutely marvelous;). Proud of you for posting this - it gives many of us something to aspire to. And thanks for reminding us that it all about the "joy"!!!!

RichM
09-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Sounds GREAT, Dave! Congrats on the new uke, and welcome to the LFdM club!

greenie44
09-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Nice sound sample. I recently had the opportunity to play a whole bunch of high end ukes, and the revelation was the LdfM. The sound of that instrument really stood out. I'm not sure whether it was the overall environment or a true representation, but this sample makes me think the latter.

M3Ukulele
09-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi Dave,
Great sounding ukulele. Very full yet notes are crisp and clear. I love your wood combination.... you have a fantastic sounding and looking ukulele. Keep on , keeping on....... sounded terrific.
Cheers

Icelander53
09-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I really like the sound of that instrument and you played that nicely. Do you have a pic you can share?

Icelander53
09-08-2015, 04:28 PM
No offense taken. I was just noodling around and decided to record it. Not sure what you are trying to say but I had hoped people would just enjoy the sound this ukulele can produce. If you are suggesting the tempo was too slow I did that purposely to highlight the tone this uke produces.

That's what it's all about Dave. I rarely play at correct speed and tempo. I started playing in my 60s and I know a lot of songs in my head that I can't play very well but you know what, I've decided that the most important thing is how it feels. I sent you my first vid of me playing and it sounded pretty messy but man were we having fun singing and playing that day. With this painful disease I'm dealing with playing my uke works better at easing some of the pain than my pain meds. I'm not kidding about that. When I play the pain usually recedes into the background for a couple of hours and the singing gets me deep breathing and really lasts for hours afterwards to relax me. I was really impressed by your sample. I know it's not pro level but I also know your musical history and I think you are doing very well indeed. Saying this is not a condemnation of what the other poster offered as I believe he was genuinely trying to help. So... play on dear brother. :music:

johnson430
09-08-2015, 05:35 PM

I appreciate your honest response.
I was only making a suggestion if you ever wanted to improve your timing.
Playing any instrument should be about the happiness it brings to the player.
Play on, sir. Play on. =)

johnson430
09-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Saying this is not a condemnation of what the other poster offered as I believe he was genuinely trying to help. So... play on dear brother. :music:

This is the truth.
And reading your post gave me a better insight to the diversity of players out there and the struggles that some of you go through on a daily basis.
I am glad to see you can have some respite from your own issues while playing the uke,
The ukulele is a magical thing. =)

Icelander53
09-08-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm glad too. It's truly been saving my life this last several months. It's a blast and the only way I connect a great friend I can't do physical things with anymore. (he plays guitar) I know I'll never be a great player and this disease definitely affects my abilities to some degree and that's only going to get worse over time so I'm learning but also losing skills.

The great thing for me is that I lived on music as a kid, mostly to relieve a lousy childhood home life. I didn't play anything but I remember lyrics and tunes very well and I even remember all the songs my mom used to sing. When I got that Daily and Leap Year and the Fake Book I had maybe a thousand songs that I could pick from and I remembered the basic tune and lyrics to maybe 75% and so could just sit down and play and sing them. That provided hours/days/weeks of intense fun for me.

Dan Uke
09-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Great playing and I love the fact you played alow so that we can savor each note!

DownUpDave
09-09-2015, 12:04 AM
I just want to thank each and everyone of you for the kind words. It was a bit scary..........putting up my first sound sample for the whole world to hear. But I should have known better. This community never fails to amaze me with it's spirit of support, encouragement and friendship. You all are great, thanks for responding.

There was a picture request, so here are a few for those that missed my NUD thread.

sam13
09-10-2015, 05:10 AM
This sound sample is fabulous ... it is the kind of sound that makes you want to sell all of the Ukes and just buy one of these ... and might I say Sophia is quite the babe ...

lakesideglenn
09-10-2015, 06:30 AM
Now that you've crossed the recording barrier it's time for a Youtube video...get in on Seasons of the uke and show off that beauty!

DownUpDave
09-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Now that you've crossed the recording barrier it's time for a Youtube video...get in on Seasons of the uke and show off that beauty!

YOUTUBE videos..........now you are going too far. As the old saying goes "I got a face made for radio"..........:biglaugh:

That and the fact I am chicken s**t. I have enjoyed your songs though and it is tempting, maybe someday. Thanks for the invite

billten
09-10-2015, 10:18 AM
YOUTUBE videos..........now you are going too far. As the old saying goes "I got a face made for radio"..........:biglaugh:

That and the fact I am chicken s**t. I have enjoyed your songs though and it is tempting, maybe someday. Thanks for the invite

Hahahahaha and you may end up seeing yourself with the terrible uke-face affliction... "OMG do i really pull that face when i play???"

Dave, it's awesome you have found a stunning looker that sounds so good. Love the sound sample and congrats on finding 'the one'.

kvehe
09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Now that Karl Leroy is safely back from the shop, I felt free to listen to your sound sample. Why I wanted to wait until mine was back, I have no idea. Love it!

lakesideglenn
09-11-2015, 11:56 AM

Theres alot of headless uke players out there ...just aim the camera down! Anyway, that ukes a beauty!
Cheers!

johnson430
09-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Theres alot of headless uke players out there ...just aim the camera down! Anyway, that ukes a beauty!
Cheers!

I had a chuckle when I read "radio face", I haven't heard that in a long, long time.
But serious, I want to see this uke in action.
It has such a rich sound. You must share this with others.
The audience has spoken.

DownUpDave
09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I had a chuckle when I read "radio face", I haven't heard that in a long, long time.
But serious, I want to see this uke in action.
It has such a rich sound. You must share this with others.
The audience has spoken.

Hey maybe that can be my stage name.......the song stylings of "Radio Face"

hawaii 50
09-16-2015, 07:36 AM
have you guys seen the 2 LFDM ukes on the UkuleleSite auction......