Ready to place my order --- Your edits & suggestions to my order are welcomed :)

AcousticTones

Reaction score
Greetings one and all. Well, I think I'm ready to PULL-THE-TRIGGER and place my order with The Ukulele Site :drool:

I have been emailing back and forth with Zach (he has answered a number of questions and has been very helpful), and I have the following sitting as a "draft" in my email to remind me of exactly what I would like to order. So please review, comment and let me know if I am missing anything!!!

Background, I have been playing guitar for 25+ years and really finding myself much more interested in the Uke now than my guitars. My only ukulele so far is a $199 Cordoba 22T. And so this will be my first big ukulele purchase and hoping to get something I'll be happy with for years to come!!!

So here's the draft of my order so far:

-PONO MTSHC-S SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CUTAWAY- KOA BOUND - RADIUS -SLOTHEAD +

-Link to specific item to make sure I'm getting the right thing: http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-mtshc-s-spruce-mahogany-cutaway.html

-Setup request - Please have strings changed out to your favorite High-G set with no wound strings... and then please send an extra set of the same strings so that I know what is on there and have a replacement pair

-Add a strap button

-LR Baggs 5.0 Active pickup system

-Also please add two ukulele wall hangers to my order if you have something like the following: String Swing Home and Studio Ukulele Hanger wood

*Additional notes of possible interest (Edited and added after posting): I had made a few post here and emailed Zach discussing the higher end 30 series Cordoba, but everyone seem to really promote and suggest I consider the Pono line. And although I was looking to spend closer to the $600 range on the Cordoba, I did end up deciding that the Pono may be the way to go... then after that I started to think that the higher end Pono's were even looking better :) So I'll sell one of my guitars to end up paying for this acquisition, but it seems to be the right decision! One of my BIGGEST deciding factors, which is what makes this order soooooo hard to make, is overall PLAYABILITY!!! I am used to some fairly nice guitars with great playability, and I just have heard A LOT of great things about this level of the Pono line, and think that I'll be happy with it for a very long time! Sure hope I'm right about all of that, but I've got a pretty good feeling it'll turn out to be a great purchase from a great company and great retailer.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Your order sounds great!

Just curious why you chose the LR Baggs 5.0 active pickup system. I've heard great things about it, but I'm torn between that pickup system and a MiSi, which doesn't need an onboard battery. Good luck with your order!

Since this will be my first pickup in a ukulele I've gone with what seems to be the pick-up of choice over at The Ukulele site. They seem to really like and prefer it (that's my impression anyways). Seems like a good system and those little batteries last a looooong time as well. I have an LR Baggs in my guitar and I'm amazed at how long a single battery will last.

I finally, after decades of "buying twice: the first one being okay, selling it, and getting the better one..." with The Ukulele site and got a Pono, even though I am new to Ukulele. I strongly felt that I would fall in love with learning and wanted a quality instrument. This meant placing the order, calling them, canceling it, and getting a more expensive one. Thy were great.

Yours is beautiful. Getting quality is about the sound, true enough, but the appearance is a blessing, and you have picked out a beautiful model. I, too, found Zach and company to be reliable. It is very important to me that I am not lied to and in all the emails back and forth, I got honest opinions. It doesn't mean one cannot be wrong, but it means that there is not a deliberate attempt to deceive me.

I trust them including some questions about where manufactured and how one model compares to another of a another brand. I sought opinions and got them, rather than "attempts to persuade."

They won me as a repeat customer because of it.

I am also glad I upgraded to the hardshell case. It is a nice instrument and it deserves protection. You're likely going to love yours.

Congratulations.

Very nice choice of instrument! I do find it interesting that as a guitar player, you've picked a Ukulele that looks almost exactly like a guitar. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of traditional Uke players are going that way themselves. But you are definitely staying in familiar territory there. Was that a factor in your decision making process?

Very nice choice of instrument! I do find it interesting that as a guitar player, you've picked a Ukulele that looks almost exactly like a guitar. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of traditional Uke players are going that way themselves. But you are definitely staying in familiar territory there. Was that a factor in your decision making process?

Loving the classic looking slotted headstock, and it's funny because my main guitar (a Gibson J-35) doesn't have a cutaway. But just seems to make sense on the uke if I ever decide to go up in to that "dusty-area" of the neck :)

So far, haven't heard from anyone that wasn't happy with Pono's higher-end models.

I just hit the SEND button on my email to Zach asking if he'd prefer I call him directly (since his direct phone number is in the email) or just order online with the details. I did just call the store and Aaron answered, but he sounded busy and recommended the quickest way to place an order is by going online :)

Oh oh... I'm getting closer :) I think this is going to happen!!!

Yes most times they are working, phone calls every time interrupts them.. you know how it is.
They are always busy. I seen a great rebel in the store last week for 1295, if you
Want to get that also :)

Wow, I listened to the demo video on that link. That thing sounds awesome!

Yeah, Corey tends to make most hunks of wood with strings on them sound good :) He's a beast, but I will admit that I can't wait to hear it in person. Soooo fired up!!!

What a beautiful looking & sounding uke - Congratulations! AND fear not: I've had my Pono (ATSH-PC) for three months now... not a day goes by that I'm not deeper in love and more grateful for the fine folks at HMS. Your've chosen a really fine instrument and a really a fine place to purchase your ukulele. (The waiting will [seemingly] be horrid... but the end result will make you proud or your choices!)

Congrats! I just got my Pono MTSH C PC Cedar/Mahogany. After watching that sound clip, I'm wishing I ordered yours! I also started in $600 price range but spent more and sold a guitar to finance it. The waiting is the hardest part!

Also coming from guitar, your Pono is exactly the size and style uke I like, all my ukes are or have been tenor, cutaway, high G unwound and electronics. If I didn't have my custom gypsy uke made for $780, I would very well have purchased that Pono.

Last edited:
Congratulations David. You are going to love it.

The LR Baggs is fabulous and that combo of wood is a superb choice.

As you know I put B T Worth re entrant strings on my RTC Spruce top and just love it.

Wise choice in many ways. Getting a high end instrument to start, getting one you truly love the look and sound of and buying from HMS. I own a Pono pro classic and I just love it. The tone and playability are right up there with some of my customs that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Congratulations.

Top Bottom