WTB tenor uke (vs new Pono MT)

mkosma

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new Pono MT but curious to check first with the smart & experienced folks here.

Can I do significantly better with a used uke relative to a new Pono MT? My range is $350-450 or so, but could go a little higher for something special.

monty

I've had a lot of Ponos, loved them all, I currently have a cedar over rosewood Pono Pro Classic in a tenor low 4th keeper position, I would look for one of those used over a new MT. Not a thing wrong with the MT, it depends on what you are looking for sound wise. Mahogany will be airy with more overtones, harder back and side woods will add more bass and natural reverb. There's also a spruce over Macassar ebony model. I played one side by side and it was a bit brighter than my cedar top, but I love my cedar top. I have the slot head, the solid headstocks are cheaper. You would get more uke with more refinements in the build (purfling, bindings) for your money. Also I personally prefer the radiused fretboard, try playing one if you can get your hands on it, then post a Wanted To Buy and see what comes up. Not sure of the prices used, you might find one with a solid headstock for very reasonable.

Also check with HMS for blems in new stock. Every now and then there is a great deal to be had. I personally don't mind that, if it isn't already perfect I don't worry as much playing a uke. ;)

Check out the Kala solid cedar top, acacia koa body, paduck red binding, slot head, for around $300 it's great. Mimukes.com would be a great place to buy.

Top Bottom